Chemsan in finished beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyvand

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here.

I’m on my second 1 gallon batch and messed up today. My siphon kind of stopped mid-way siphoning into my bottling bucket, so I filled it up with sanitizer again. I don’t know how, but I somehow managed to pour about 40-50ml diluted Chemsan into the wort before stopping the flow until beer was coming out. I went ahead and bottled it. I tasted a small sample and couldn’t tell a difference taste wise.

I know Starsan is safe, but what about Chemsan? It seems to be similar, but with slightly different contents: phosphoric acid (same as Starsan), benzenesulfonic acid and isopropanol.

Do you think I should dump it or would it be safe to drink?

I got this: If Swallowed: Get immediate medical attention/advice advice. Have person sip on a glass of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by the Poison Control doctor. Do not give anything to an unconscious person. from here: Chemsan 100ml No Rinse Sanitiser Now, that could be in larger amounts, I looked at several sites and they all had the same basic precautions though.

I got this: If Swallowed: Get immediate medical attention/advice advice. Have person sip on a glass of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by the Poison Control doctor. Do not give anything to an unconscious person. from here: Chemsan 100ml No Rinse Sanitiser Now, that could be in larger amounts, I looked at several sites and they all had the same basic precautions though.

That’s all I could find as well. Not going to take the chance, I’ll brew a new batch of the same IPA this weekend. And I’ve ordered an auto siphon, no risk of repeating this 😭 Thank you for your reply.

40-50 ml is about an ounce and a quarter to a little over an ounce and a half, and it was diluted.
If this went into five gallons of beer, it's likely safe to drink, given the devolution ratio.

Back