Cheese beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam357

Reaction score
We all know that beer in cheese can be some of the best parents out there. Doing some research I have not found and Chyna find anything I’m brewing beers that have a cheese flavor. Like a blue cheese barley wine for instance.
Does anybody know if such thing is possible? Or does anybody have ideas on a possible process? I don’t feel like dry hopping hunks of cheese would result in anything but destroying the beer.

You can grow the blue mold that creates blue cheese flavor on about anything. In fact, if you've got some old bread in your cabinet, you might be growing some right now. It's penicillium rocqueforti.

So, my suggestion if you wanted to go forward with that is to avoid the cheese, which would add a lot of milk fats to your beer and ruin the head. Grow the mold on bread. Try adding the bread to the mash or boil. It's possible the flavor you're looking for will disappear, not sure. I guess it's also possible to make a tincture of the mold and some vodka, then add to the finished beer.

Frankly, I think you'd be better off keeping cheese and beer separate, but I do admire the adventurous spirit :mug:

Back