Cheers to my uncle Hank, may he rest in peace.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annasdadhockey

Reaction score
I got a phone call from my mother last night. I could hear in her voice she was very upset. I figured my dad, or my grandmother(both 82 years old..., don't ask) had passed. I damn near blacked out when she told me my uncle Hank had a massive heart attack and died. ****ing WHAT?!?!?!?!?! I can't believe it, i'm shocked, stunned, ****ing incredulous. How does this happen? He was 59, 20 years in the Army, 6' 165 lbs, great health, loving wife of 10 years, all around class act. It just doesn't feel real. Needless to say, I'm drinking heavily tonight. I know it won't bring him back, but at least it keeps me from totally losing my ****. We were very close, and this is going to take a long time to reconcile in my own mind. Very sad. i'm lost. I don't know what else to say.

Oh, no. I'm sorry to hear of this. You have my deepest sympathy, for you and your family. I can't believe how sudden this was, and how your family must feel.

Sorry to hear that,I hate getting "THE call". Pop was 69,mom was 64...both gone in the 90's. You know you're really alone when?...
Kinda unsettling to hear,as I'm 56,& with bad joints & such from too many decades of heavy manual labor,this stuff gets me to wondering. I'll drink to your loss in a bit. These things are hard to take with someone you love & were so close too. Pop wasn't just my father. He was my fishin/huntin buddy,barroom buddy,co-worker...so I feel ya man. It's tough,no gettin around it. So I'll tell ya somethin a co-worker told me once during divorce/dark times..."You never forget it,it just gets easier to live with". Try to remember the good times. & don't hold it in,you must grieve,because if you don't,well,...that way lies madness. Trust me. I've been there,including with my lil brother back in '72. Damn my big mouth...

Sorry to hear that,I hate getting "THE call". Pop was 69,mom was 64...both gone in the 90's. You know you're really alone when?...
Kinda unsettling to hear,as I'm 56,& with bad joints & such from too many decades of heavy manual labor,this stuff gets me to wondering. I'll drink to your loss in a bit. These things are hard to take with someone you love & were so close too. Pop wasn't just my father. He was my fishin/huntin buddy,barroom buddy,co-worker...so I feel ya man. It's tough,no gettin around it. So I'll tell ya somethin a co-worker told me once during divorce/dark times..."You never forget it,it just gets easier to live with". Try to remember the good times. & don't hold it in,you must grieve,because if you don't,well,...that way lies madness. Trust me. I've been there,including with my lil brother back in '72. Damn my big mouth...

Thanks Man. That helps.

Thank you everyone for your support. It's gonna be rough for awhile, but it'll get easier eventually. He was a Corona drinker, so I may have to pick some up and drink it in his honor.

Cheers everyone.

That sucks. I got one of those calls once for my uncle, same deal, he was only 44 though. Looked like a frigging swimmer, lean and tall and athletic. He was a great guy, too, my Uncle Jim. Class act. Sometimes the best go first. Just writing this makes me sad.

So drink and weep and let it all out - and I'll join you and raise one for your Uncle Hank right now.

life goes on. I hope you take that in the best way.

I mean that sympathetically and I take comfort in that myself for I have suffered a loss too.

Hey, I am no stranger to loss, myself... And it never gets easier. But if there is one thing I can add, it would be this: Loved ones might leave us physically, but never leave our memories or our hearts. So share those memories and the love felt, and celebrate the life that was.

It is never easy man. On a side note...everyone here should be on an aspirin regimen. Heart attacks dont just affect those who are unhealthy, a lot is based on genetics. (I'm an RN if anyone is wondering).

Thank you everyone for your support and empathy.

The viewing is today, which is really going to make it real for us, followed by the funeral tomorrow.

Sorry for your loss, I feel your your pain and lift a glass in his honor.

i know you will miss him but he is just a thought away and only a dimension a part. he's there with you whenever you want. :rockin:

GD51:tank:

Been awhile since I responded in this thread. Since my uncle's untimely passing, my son Jacob was born. I gave him a second middle name, Hank, as a tribute to my uncle. I'm sitting here on the balcony of his condo in Ocean City, MD, reflecting on all if the good times we had. The hardest part of all this is that, not long before he died, he told his wife, my aunt, that I should have been HIS son, and not his sister's son, because he felt we had so much in common and we were so much alike. This is the first time I. Have come back to his condo since his passing, and it is a bit strange. I did, however, as he asked of me every time I came down here, put out the American flag first, before even unloading the car. That was his thing. Country, country, country.
Here's to you Hank. No Corona tonight, though. Stone espresso Russian Imperial Stout.

When pop died,it didn't really hit me till they blew taps,& the 21 gun salute. Then I knew my father & bestest buddy was gone. Life still just doesn't feel quite the same. but as I said earlier,it just gets a lil easier to live with. He & I were much the same,so I feel ya there,man...:mug:

Back