New Brewer from Oakland, CA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasterooni

PIpe line is now well established
Reaction score
I started brewing cider in June of this year quite accidentally, really, though I have been contemplating brewing mead for years now. My grandmother brewed mead from the honey she harvested from the hives in her yard. It would be ready by Christmas (Yule) every year. It is a tradition I want to keep, and pass on to m daughter.

Anyhow, I have been buying dextrose from the local home brewing store for my protein drinks (I'm a gym rat), and one day, after discovering hard cider, I asked the guy behind the counter what it would take to brew my own cider. He handed me a little slip of paper with some vague instructions and ingredients; looked fairly simple and straight forward enough. So, my next question was how much do all these things cost? and it came to about $11 if i remember correctly. You know, an airlock, some yeast (EC-1118), tannin, yeast nutrient, campden tablets, and a rubber stopper; I already had some 2 liter jugs. I bought the stuff, and stopped to get some juice on the way home. I opted for a gallon jug of organic, unfiltered apple juice.

Since then, I have started more batches, with different brands of juice, different yeasts, and different amounts of either dextrose or sucrose added. I have 8 liters in secondary (first racking), and clearing (I added pectic enzyme). They are looking really good and I am excited to try each of them. I also have another gallon in primary fermentation (the K1-V116) that I may opt to leave in primary until it clears as I added pectic enzyme when I pitched. I have used D-47, safcider, K1-V1116, and EC-1118 so far, and have my eye on using Voss Kveik since it's Norwegian (my ancestory, thus the mead at Yule thing)

I have been thoroughly enjoying researching this site. Every time I have had a question along the way, I have found an answer on this site for the most part, so I haven't posted any questions yet. And since I am very wet behind the ears, and absolute newbie, I am in no way qualified to answer any questions, so I figured that may as well introduce myself, and say thanks for all the help and guidance I have received thus far.

Happy brewing! (This brewing thing is so much ****ing fun, I LOVE it, and I haven't even tried it yet, but i can smell it when the bubble comes through the airlock...The anticipation is killing me!)

I have found that the learning is never ending which is part of the fun..

lol, +1...i still don't know how to brew beer, but it makes me feel funny....:D

And, Welcome! Cider, actually, is what got me hooked on homebrew!

I'll eat lefse, love it with cinnamon sugar.

Won't touch lutefisk. Nope, nope, nope...

I wont torture my kid with lutefiske, but she loves lefse with jam. Out family has this weird sweet cheese recipe that my grandmother used to make, we made it last year, a little time consuming but well worth it.
On our road trip in late July, I hope to find some good honey for our first batch of mead. Probably wont be ready by Yule unless I use that Voss Kveik, which from the sounds of it, will rip anything a new one in no time!

Welcome from Lincoln, CA!

I have found that the learning is never ending which is part of the fun..
Cheers [emoji482]

When I cant sleep, I am on this damn computer researching questions I have about brewing cider, I am not sure but maybe I cant sleep because I GOT TO FIND THE ANSWER! Which of course turns into a rabbit hole going to anywhere and nowhere at all!

Agree completely.
My mind keeps going even when my body is tired from a long work day and wants to rest. I have even solved problems in my sleep. [emoji482]

When I cant sleep, I am on this damn computer researching questions I have about brewing cider, I am not sure but maybe I cant sleep because I GOT TO FIND THE ANSWER! Which of course turns into a rabbit hole going to anywhere and nowhere at all!

Sometimes my insomnia activity is firing up the computer and tweaking whatever upcoming recipe I have on Beersmith.

Sometimes my insomnia activity is firing up the computer and tweaking whatever upcoming recipe I have on Beersmith.
I never knew that brewing beer could get so complex. Makes wonder why wine is so expensive and beer much cheaper. LIke bracconier said, more or less, in the thread somewhere, "I thought making apple cider is just throwing juice in a bucket". Same seems to go for wine, but beer seems to be waaayyyy more involved!

That's definitely one way to do it ;)

unless you want to be 'cool' like me and plant apple trees, and buy a press......(compared to me malting my own barley)

Same seems to go for wine, but beer seems to be waaayyyy more involved!

one word, or compound word...ABInBev....i can brew 10 gals of beer for $8, and yeah @applescrap i told you it'd come up again....lol

right on, probably be some damn good cider! :)

edit: might want to edit that, and move your text after the quote ;)

Latest posts

Back