Checking Final Gravity out of the tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
Checking Final Gravity out of the tap? Anyone do this?

I usually dont check FG, mostly because I dont care, but also because it's just a hassle.

Either sanitize the wine thief, and then clean it when I'm done, or try and get the end of the auto-siphon into a glass without spilling beer all over the place, and again one more thing to clean.

So I thought why not just hook up the keg to the tap and pour into the Hydrometer vessel.

(edited to avoid confusion: I allowed the beer to rise to the 69 degree temp of the hydrometer, and before it had a chance to carb, bassically immediately after I rack it from the fermentor)

It worked great. 1.010 final gravity.

Anyone see any down side to doing this?

Is the beer carbonated at all? If not then it's probably not a problem. You just have to make sure to temp correct the reading. If it's carbed then the C02 will throw off your reading.

I've done it a few times as well, before it's carbed up. As mentioned you just need to get it back up to temp.

You'll also want to make sure that there's nothing in your lines. I tend to leave a bit of starsan foam in the lines after I'm done cleaning them, assuming it will get pushed out by the yeasty beer after everything is carbed and settled. So long as you poured that initial bit out, I'd say that might be an easier way to go about things. I might have to try this on the next batch, it does certainly sound easier!

Back