Check Your Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscBrewer

Reaction score
I've used the same thermometer (for longer than I care to admit) for my all grain brewing. It's one I purchased from my local home brew shop. Very recently, I bought a pretty good PH meter that has a separate temperature probe. In the middle of brewing my most recent batch, I decided to compare the reading on my old thermometer with the digital reading on my new one. Would you believe my old thermometer read seven degrees lower than the new one? Some testing later that day showed me that the new one is quite accurate. The old one was WAY off. I could kick myself. So...if you aren't sure yours is accurate, test it!

Ironically, my cheap thermo from Kroger (I think) is only .5 degrees F off after a few years. I test mine every other month along with my Blichmann in the MLT, and it always reads damn near 32F in the ice cup with just enough water to saturate the ice, and 210F @ boiling (per my elevation). My other one before that was a solid 3 degrees off.

I've got an old, 1991 vintage lab thermometer I bought when I started homebrewing. Never did test it until a few months ago.

On the low end it's fine. The higher you go though the more inaccurate it is. Boiling reads as 200F and I'm at 300 feet above sea level.

I have a cheap Taylor thermometer. It has a long rod with a 1 inch dial face. This thing is accurate. Now, it takes a little while to register but the thing works.

Sometimes higher cost just means you spent more.

All the Best,
D. White

Back