check valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have check valves in my CO2 manifold and another one integrated into the shutoff valve on the regulator. Getting beer into your gas line is bad news. Getting it into your regulator is REALLY bad news.

I just have a check valve mounted on the out for the regulator that came with it. I should be getting my CO2 splitter this week so 1 more check valve will be added inline to each keg.

I'm using Micromatic premium secondaries. I don't believe they have integrated check valves.

A couple weeks ago, my system had no gas. I kept the CO2 tank in the keezer, so it's not uncommon for my gas to be out unexpectedly. I just sent believe I could have run through all 10 lbs as quickly as I did.

I put a fresh tank on, this morning before I went to work. My intentions were to crank all four kegs up to 30 psi, then close all the shut off valves. One of my regs wouldn't go to 30. It was sticking. I'm thinks by at some point Ive had back flow and that's causing the stickiness.

I'm looking to source either inline check valves or, preferably, check valves I can attach to the gas couplers.

That would keep beer out of my lines and CO2 in the keg when my tank empties.

Anybody running something like that?

For an in-line, a barbed shutoff valve with integral check valve would work.

Not sure what you mean by gas couplers. The quick disconnects?

The disconnect is what I'm talking about.

I did some searching and Micromatic makes shut off valves with check valves for their regulators. They actually have an article about it on their website I wish I had read a couple years ago. They explain that check valves are generally unnecessary because standard couplers have check valves built in. They then go on to say it is necessary for homebrew kegs because those disconnects do not have check valves. I could have ordered my secondaries with the check valves if I had known that.

Beveragfactory sells them for $12.95 a piece. They give a 7% military discount and I have a $25 credit with them from posting my keezer on their Facebook.

Looks like I'll be placing an order, soon.

If i have gotten beer in my regulators, will taking them apart and cleaning them suffice? Or will I need to rebuild them?

Back