Cheapest/easiest way to chill my keg for bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collin8579

Reaction score
So I don't have any sort of freezer/fridge I can use to chill my keg down to bottling temperature.

I'm force carbing, backsweetening, a hard cider
I know chilling is not as much an issue with hard cider, but I don't want to loose the integrity of the product while I'm bottling
I'm using a beer gun to bottle.

So-
How can I get my keg down to suitable temperature the easiest/cheapest way?
I was looking at a 55gal barrel with ice or a unit like this
http://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-Keg-Cooler-aka-R2-Beer2/
Which ostensibly costs around 100 and can be multi purpose

But, I'm not sure I need to use that much resources/space
I thought about just chilling it down with ice in a tub or garbage bag or whatever,
But a secondary question, how long does it need to be chilled to bottle,, I feel like i read I can't do it right away, I have to let it settle and change pressure inside

Thanks
Collin

Fermenter bag

I have one of these I use in the summer with frozen gallon plastic bottles to keep my fermentation temps down. I'd say with four frozen gallons you could get it down to serving temps.

Depending on where you live, at this time of year half the US and all of Canada can chill simply outside.

If not, place your keg in one of those 10 gallon gotts and fill the surrounding space with ice. Wrap a blanket or sleeping bag around the top.

For a one-time solution, if you're anywhere near me right now it's plenty cold enough in the garage to chill a keg - or cold-crash a fermenter.
garage_crash.jpg

For the bottling thing, the colder the beer (and bottles - but not frosted!) the less aggravation, but unless you're also looking to brighten the beer as soon as your keg hits your target temperature it's ready to go...

Cheers!

I'm in Austin Texas, it was in the 80s yesterday, so even in my garage its still too hot.
(while that temp isn't normal its not abnormal, and it hasn't gotten down to jacket weather in a bit)

Hm an insulated bag, or a big ass gott cooler thing,, then ice it down and wait...

If you already have a large cooler lay the keg in horizontally, add ice.

When I need to chill something down fast I stick a few kegs in my chest freezer and 4-6 hours later pull them out. Make sure to set a timer somewhere or you're making ice bock.

Latest posts

Back