Cheapest AG Vendor...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
re: Rebel Brewer

Unless I am missing something, shipping cost prices them way out of this conversation (at least for all grain brewing). Added 15 lbs of 2 row Briess to my cart with a great cost per lb ($0.98 with 10% discount for ordering more than 10 lbs) but astronomical shipping (22.42 to Iowa). Sorry, I will not even consider them given this shipping cost. Of course, I cannot speak for their customer service or integrity...

Me, too. Based on the rave reviews on this thread, my next order is going to BMW regardless, but no peanuts would have sealed the deal for practically all future orders.

I should point out that I got my order extremely well packed with not much in the way of extra packaging and peanuts. I was pleasantly surprised.

Just a couple of points.

We will always use as little peanuts as possible. We have many different box sizes in an attempt to keep the use of peanuts to a minimum. Some orders just take a lot of peanuts regardless, but we certainly try hard to keep them at a minimum. That would not change no matter what we use for cushioning/void fill.

The site should keep your cart information stored. Of course if you clear your cookies or use a different computer then that inforamtion is not stored there. Perhaps I will talk to the web guys about adding a wishlist feature so you can store order information no matter what.

I am seriously considering ordering the corn starch peanuts for the future. If we add some more differnet box sizes then we would not use as many, and the cost differential would not be as great.

I would pay an extra $1 if you used non-biodegradable baby seal pelts that were treated with nuclear waste....

Then again, I CAN'T USE BMW SINCE I LIVE IN F**KING GEORGIA!!!!!

re: Rebel Brewer

Unless I am missing something, shipping cost prices them way out of this conversation (at least for all grain brewing). Added 15 lbs of 2 row Briess to my cart with a great cost per lb ($0.98 with 10% discount for ordering more than 10 lbs) but astronomical shipping (22.42 to Iowa). Sorry, I will not even consider them given this shipping cost. Of course, I cannot speak for their customer service or integrity...

10% discount?

Looks like you automatically get 10% off when you order 10 or more lbs of grain. Sweet, but does not cover the astronomical shipping.

Looks like you automatically get 10% off when you order 10 or more lbs of grain. Sweet, but does not cover the astronomical shipping.

I ordered more than 10 lbs of grain and didn't get 10% off, that's why I asked. The shipping cost for me was only 6.99 and I was pretty sure that was flat rate? Anyway, cheaper than any other sites I've seen.

Anywho, Just as you said Brewmasta....they are scheduled to arrive on Friday. Unfortunately, I found out i have to work the whole day so I won't be home to receive it. I'm trying to make other arrangements. I will brew this weekend!!

BMW = 6.99 flat rate shipping

I was talking about Rebel Brewer... Does that clear things up?

BMW = 6.99 flat rate shipping

I was talking about Rebel Brewer... Does that clear things up?

yeah that makes more sense

edit: I was wondering how it could be so damn cheap and have a discount + flat rate shipping
and by the way, I got my order quick and everything was in it so I'm happy with the service

oh, so everyone is aware. Ed doesn't over do the peanuts. They do not grow out of the box and attack you while you sleep. He and his team do such a great job packaging the stuff using sealed bags and heavy duty ziplocks and the use of these materials mean the peanuts stick to them. If he packaged things lose in the box it wouldn't be such a big deal, but he doesn't mess around and everything has it's place.

I know we all have preferences for peanuts and such, but i'd suggest you give Ed a chance before worrying about things like peanuts.

oh, so everyone is aware. Ed doesn't over do the peanuts. They do not grow out of the box and attack you while you sleep. He and his team do such a great job packaging the stuff using sealed bags and heavy duty ziplocks and the use of these materials mean the peanuts stick to them. If he packaged things lose in the box it wouldn't be such a big deal, but he doesn't mess around and everything has it's place.

I know we all have preferences for peanuts and such, but i'd suggest you give Ed a chance before worrying about things like peanuts.

I really thought the peanuts were pretty reasonable in mine, enough to cushion the items without flying everywhere when you open the box.

OK...I get it that residents of GA can't order from BMW, but I don't get why? Is there some kind of LHBS cabal there that keeps the competition down or what? Just curious is all.

there was a thread on this a while ago. It basically boils down to pressure from the distributor at the last minute. IT's not a good situation, but it probably doesn't need to be rehashed in much more detail here.

The thread is brewmasters warehouse cant ship within georgia if you want to find it.

I just got my order from BMW. It was delivered less than 3 days from ordering, nothing missing, and packed snugly with minimal peanuts. I'm impressed with the quality of the bags everything came in too. I'll be ordering from them often. Thanks Ed.

I just got my order from BMW. It was delivered less than 3 days from ordering, nothing missing, and packed snugly with minimal peanuts. I'm impressed with the quality of the bags everything came in too. I'll be ordering from them often. Thanks Ed.

Thank you your business is truly appreciated.

The peanuts are usually not bad at all, but sometimes orders just require a lot of peanuts. Especially when you get a Barley Crushers. Lots of void to be filled.

It's cracking me up that the only thing people can find to complain about with BMW is the mutant peanuts.

I've got the cure for those of you who want it. Place a single order with B3 and you'll go running back to Ed and will never even notice the peanuts again.

It's cracking me up that the only thing people can find to complain about with BMW is the mutant peanuts.

I've got the cure for those of you who want it. Place a single order with B3 and you'll go running back to Ed and will never even notice the peanuts again.

Now that would be funny, if it werent so true.

The cornstarch peanuts dissolve in water. You can throw them in the yard, compost them, eat them (not very tasty) whatever. I have not ordered from BMW yet but I plan to for my next order. If the shipping was $.50 - $1 more for the peanuts that instantly melt with water rather than fill my trashcan and static cling to everything, I'd be thrilled.
Great website, BMW, only thing I could ask for is more and better pics. Glad to know you are active on the forum, helpful, and have a great reputation.
Oh, One other thing, in your recipe descriptions, it would be helpful to have a lbs of grain and appx abv based on say 70% efficiency, for instance Ed's Bee Cave Haus pale pale has no descriptions about abv and grain weight.

I must say that it's Horrible to read about such great customer service and prices and not be able to do a damn thing about it!:mad: FWIW I signed the petition and am waiting till you an sell in GA to georgians ...

I will look into using these. They are a little more expensive, but not as bad as many other alternatives. I am worried a little bit about settling with them.

Ed, just a heads up...

I tried using the corn starch peanuts years ago. They really attract roaches and rats then they see the grain and you have a real problem.

This was 8 years ago. I tried them for a month and had to go back.

You could use the green colored ones. They are recycled and at least you can feel better about it.

Forrest

I am sure they are charging what UPS charges them. This is a testament to the amount of money ED at BMW gets charged but doesn't charge you. He just takes it in the shorts instead of charging real shipping charges.

Forrest

Ed, just a heads up...

I tried using the corn starch peanuts years ago. They really attract roaches and rats then they see the grain and you have a real problem.

This was 8 years ago. I tried them for a month and had to go back.

You could use the green colored ones. They are recycled and at least you can feel better about it.

Forrest

Now this is good information to know about.

With corn starch peanuts costs go up for me and for customers, plus a double hit with the extra costs of keeping roaches and rats for all of the grains.

Thanks Forrest for the insight on your experience. I guess I will stick to the normal peanuts and not risk getting a infestation. At least the peanuts are recycled (We only use the green recycled peanuts).

Ed

I am sure they are charging what UPS charges them. This is a testament to the amount of money ED at BMW gets charged but doesn't charge you. He just takes it in the shorts instead of charging real shipping charges.

Forrest

Not just a testament to what I do, but all homebrew stores that offer flat shipping, including AHS.

Ed

The cornstarch peanuts dissolve in water. You can throw them in the yard, compost them, eat them (not very tasty) whatever. I have not ordered from BMW yet but I plan to for my next order. If the shipping was $.50 - $1 more for the peanuts that instantly melt with water rather than fill my trashcan and static cling to everything, I'd be thrilled.
Great website, BMW, only thing I could ask for is more and better pics. Glad to know you are active on the forum, helpful, and have a great reputation.
Oh, One other thing, in your recipe descriptions, it would be helpful to have a lbs of grain and appx abv based on say 70% efficiency, for instance Ed's Bee Cave Haus pale pale has no descriptions about abv and grain weight.

I am glad you like the site. I am working on taking more pics for the website and eventually everything will have a proper picture.

The recipe descriptions will be a mute point very soon, with the next upgrade to the brew builder the recipes will actually open in the brew builder and you will be able to tweak them on screen however you want.

Forrest

Now this is good information to know about.

With corn starch peanuts costs go up for me and for customers, plus a double hit with the extra costs of keeping roaches and rats for all of the grains.

Thanks Forrest for the insight on your experience. I guess I will stick to the normal peanuts and not risk getting a infestation. At least the peanuts are recycled (We only use the green recycled peanuts).

Ed

This right here is what it is all about. Ed and Forrest communicating positively instead of one trying to get the upper hand on the other. Here are two guys that hang around here and keep their fingers on the pulse of HBT and do what they can to help us out.
I know there are a lot of great LHBS out there, but I don't see them posting here regularly. Much less taking up for one another.

My opinion, these are the guys that should get our support every chance possible.
Ed & Forrest, GREAT JOB GUYS! :mug:

I totally respect the choice not to use the corn starch peanuts given Forrest's input... I do, however, wonder if this was more of an incidental occurence (more rats with corn starch peanuts than regular peanuts). I mean with grain, sugars (honey, belgian candi, inverted, etc), liquid extract, dry extract, and so on (list can go on and on forever) laying around a homebrew shop, would some corn starch peanuts really by the cheese to attact rats/vermin? Incidence does not equal causation. Just my 2 cents.

All I know is that when I had them it was a problem and when I got rid of them it wasn't. Your results may vary. It could be a coincedence, but it was like turning on a switch for me.

Forrest

I know that given all of the attractions for bugs and vermin already present in the store, adding another especially given Forrest's input does not sound like something I want to chance. I have tons (literally) of grains at the store and I think it would be difficult to get rid of any pests once they discovered all of the goodies they can eat.

It sounds like the air cushioning system would be the best solution. Unfortunately that will take a while before I would be able to invest in something like that.

That is very true. Orders that consist on mostly grains do not have a lot of peanuts. Our box selection is setup for these types of orders, since they are by far the most common.

Another very satisfied customer, I missed ed's first call telling me that they were out of the yeast I ordered. Dialed the call back number expecting to have to wade through at least some menus or call center folk, but no, Ed himself answered. Everything was worked out quickly and I am looking forward to ordering from BMW again.

Back