Cheap Sanke Keg fermenter Conversion kit (Completed!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome project. I am making one right now. Did you use a stainless washer? If so where did you find it?

I also like this thread for the addition of the keggle sealed top design on page two. I am hoping my welder can copy that as that is the most elegant way to seal it I have seen.

I didn't bother with a SS washer since it doesn't go inside the vessel. I just got a zinc coated one at home depot.

Yes, the keg fermenter lid is the best way if it's possible for you to do it... the draw back is it requires two kegs to make it.

The idea is to cut the lid out of a keg to convert it into a keggle for boiling. You'll cut that lid about 12.5" dia. The fermenter keg needs to have the hole cut smaller than the keggle--at about 12" dia--then you use the keggle lid as the fermenter lid. That way you have the lip for the gasket to seal it.

I also saw an instructable on how to make silicon gaskets for the lid. http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-silicone-O-rings-and-tubing/

Yes, the keg fermenter lid is the best way if it's possible for you to do it... the draw back is it requires two kegs to make it.

I also saw an instructable on how to make silicon gaskets for the lid. http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-silicone-O-rings-and-tubing/

I have been stuck a while trying to figure out how I want to make this keg fermenter setup. Ever since I opened up a few kegs and realized they were disgusting inside. I have some big o-rings coming. I have tons of lids around and cut a smaller hole out of a Coors keg, then spent a while scrubbing out the keg with lime-away to make it something I would put my fresh wort into.

So I made one and it worked very well. I tested it up to 8psi.

Some issues I had in building was getting the washer pushed down onto the bung and rotated into place. In order to make this easier I drilled two holes on either side of the washer. The holes are the exact size of the tips of my needle nose pliers. By opening up the pliers and putting the tips in the holes allows me to push down on the washer and rotate it into place to be under the tabs.

Some issues I had in building was getting the washer pushed down onto the bung and rotated into place. In order to make this easier I drilled two holes on either side of the washer. The holes are the exact size of the tips of my needle nose pliers. By opening up the pliers and putting the tips in the holes allows me to push down on the washer and rotate it into place to be under the tabs.

Glad it worked. I'm sure you'll enjoy it when it's time to rack to a serving keg.. Soon I'll be racking my second batch since using this system.

It can be a pain with the washer. What I do is spray the stopper with starsan, and push it really far in. Then the washer is very loose. I rotate the washer into place and push the stopper back up against it tight.

And if you did a good job on the holes around the dip tube and barb, it'll do a lot more than 8psi. I had mine up to 15 during fermentation.

Then the washer is very loose. I rotate the washer into place and push the stopper back up against it tight.

Are you using this on a normal keg or removable lid?

And if you did a good job on the holes around the dip tube and barb, it'll do a lot more than 8psi. I had mine up to 15 during fermentation.

My test was on a removable lid and the o-ring on the lid blew not your design. I am putting it to test when i brew tomorrow. I don't intend to pressure carb with it until I redesign the removable lid seal.

Do you have pictures? I have two kegs that no one wants back. One is going to be the keggle and the other a fermenter. I'm interested in the idea of using the top of one as the lid for the fermenter (I'll have to get someone else to do the welding for me though). If I'm not mistaken this is what you pulled off? If you have pictures of exactly how you did it I'd appreciate it. How did you seal it?

Do you have pictures? I have two kegs that no one wants back. One is going to be the keggle and the other a fermenter. I'm interested in the idea of using the top of one as the lid for the fermenter (I'll have to get someone else to do the welding for me though). If I'm not mistaken this is what you pulled off? If you have pictures of exactly how you did it I'd appreciate it. How did you seal it?

Look at the first few posts. There's a pic I posted with the best solution I've seem. Simple to build too.

I don't weld either and don't think the design on the first page here is that easy to build. I think it is very elegant and even have ways to make it even nicer, but don't know how to weld. I think if you have to pay someone to make it you might be a good bit of the way to a conical.

Here is the way I did it. I had kegs and lids sitting around already and worked with what i had around. I imagine except for the racking cane, keg and lid I already had on hand the whole thing cost about $30.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/pressurized-removable-keg-lid-457161/

So I had to post. I just used this system again to ferment and transfer some cream of three crops.

I couldn't be happier with it. I blew off a measuring cup full of beer before I transferred. With the COTC being so clear, I could see when the yeast blew off. Once it was flowing clear, I connected it to the keg and transferred.

Once I saw yeast in the tube, I cut it off. My keg was full and there was NO beer in the fermenting keg. It really did an amazing job getting just about every drop of beer in the keg with out the trub.

I just acquired 3 more 1/4 slim kegs. So now I'll have 6 fermenters. I just need to build 4 more of these.

This is awesome, I'm so pissed that I started reading this thread. I kind of obsess about this ****, and now I have to build this. It sounds/looks so cool. Whats the chance you can make a video next time you do it. The more detailed the better, my friend.

make a video next time you do it.

Ya, I can do that. I just need to get some SS tubing then I can put 4 more together. It's super easy, but I'll do a video putting one together. Then I can do another video showing it in use while transferring to a corny.

Ya, I can do that.

I'm looking forward to it, this has been on my project list since you started the post. It just makes sense...but some of the specifics have alluded me so I'm happy your going to give so much detail, thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Has anyone looked into what the oxygen permeability of these tops are? I know that a straight up stopper is pretty high, but wondering if you've done any research for long term aging. I've got 12 sankeys and am going to make a "true" solera system (not this pull some out, put some in, stuff that everyone is tossing around) and plan to age in them for multiple years. I like the idea though. Just wondering if the O2 exchange would meet that of a barrel.

Has anyone looked into what the oxygen permeability of these tops are? I know that a straight up stopper is pretty high, but wondering if you've done any research for long term aging. I've got 12 sankeys and am going to make a "true" solera system (not this pull some out, put some in, stuff that everyone is tossing around) and plan to age in them for multiple years. I like the idea though. Just wondering if the O2 exchange would meet that of a barrel.

I have not done any type of experiment or research on that. I have, however, thought about it. I was thinking it would be cool to make something that allowed oxygen in like a barrel (I know some wineries do this to save money. They ferment in SS vs barrels and mimic the action of the barrel) That would be cool

I will probably update the front part of this post soon to reflect some other things I've done. But I ordered a 6ft stick of SS off ebay to make my own SS tube. It was A LOT cheaper than buying pre made ones. It came out really nice and only required simple, and cheap, tools from Harbor freight (that I already had).

If you're only doing one fermenter, its worth buying the SS siphon tube, but if you're doing more than one, like me, it's well worth buying and making it. I did end up buying two. Now I wish I went this route from the start. I would've probably saved $20 between all 6 of my fermenters.

So I haven't forgotten to do a video. I just haven't made the time to make any more of these. I was in an accident, and I'm back in school full time. Finals are coming up. So I'll make a video for everyone from start to finish including making the SS siphon tube within a few days to a week. I'll also add links to where I got everything.

That would be cool, and then each batch coulc be smaller and more controlled. I still have to say though, that wood has a very sexy appeal.

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

I added a quick video of me making a SS racking cane. I also added a video on taking the stem apart. They're on the main page post at the bottom. More to come.

Well I've used this method to ferment and transfer approximately 50 gal of beer... Everything has been flawless and fantastic.. Until now.

I brewed 12gal last night. They're split into two fermenters. I just got home and smelled something bready... Check the closet, Doh!

I didn't tighten the hose clamp securely to the hose attached to the racking cane. It built up pressure and blew out at least a gallon of beer onto the floor... Lesson learned.

Well I've used this method to ferment and transfer approximately 50 gal of beer... Everything has been flawless and fantastic.. Until now.

I brewed 12gal last night. They're split into two fermenters. I just got home and smelled something bready... Check the closet, Doh!

I didn't tighten the hose clamp securely to the hose attached to the racking cane. It built up pressure and blew out at least a gallon of beer onto the floor... Lesson learned.

Damn, let that be a lesson to you grasshopper. And we are laughing with you, not at you.

I keep slowly throwing mine together in anticipation of the video that shows exactly how you use yours. All the while i'm running through my head which batch will get get bumped up to a 10 gallon batch (It'll be my first 10 gal batch)

TIA,

Altimate_One

Damn, let that be a lesson to you grasshopper. And we are laughing with you, not at you.

I keep slowly throwing mine together in anticipation of the video that shows exactly how you use yours. All the while i'm running through my head which batch will get get bumped up to a 10 gallon batch (It'll be my first 10 gal batch)

TIA,

Altimate_One

Sorry I know I've been slacking on getting the rest of the vids done. I have this batch fermenting. I will video the complete transfer to corny keg when finished. It'll be a little more than two weeks.

But I guess I could make a video using water or something. Seems like lying that way though.

Thought I would add my picture to the thread. I added a compression fitting with a ball valve to the end of the diptube. The whole thing works great. I've had an imperial stout fermenting in here for 4 weeks and i just bought the parts to make another one. Great build!

With the picture this time...

1397853768042.jpg

Is there a benefit to a sealed environment? I have a spare keggle with a snug fitting glass lid. The lid has a vent.

I could ferment in this thing couldn't I?

Is there a benefit to a sealed environment? I have a spare keggle with a snug fitting glass lid. The lid has a vent.

I could ferment in this thing couldn't I?

You can ferment in just about anything, but this thread is about pressure fermenting and transfer. I doubt you will get a seal without elaborate gaskets and clamps.

Subbed, finally found a use for an extra couple of sankeys that I had lying around.

I have a 5 gallon sanke that I was going to use as a secondary fermenter. Love this idea but was going to go about it slightly differently. My plan was to install a spigot with a racking arm in the bottom of the keg. This is the one that I was looking at: spigot. Then maybe a thermowell to get fancy: temp. Thoughts?

Should not be the complicated. Am I missing something?
In order to hold it in place, I'd expect you would need some sort of nut on the spigot inside of the keg. If that's the case, I can't think of any practical way of getting the nut installed on the inside of the keg through the small hole in the top of the keg.

Love this thread.

I have a few kegs, 15.5 gal, that I have been wanting to fement in for some time. This seems like an easy to do modification to get it done.

I suppose regardless if I use a valve for pressure fermentation this DIY will at least get me fermenting in at least one of them.

Great idea and awesome DIY.

In order to hold it in place, I'd expect you would need some sort of nut on the spigot inside of the keg. If that's the case, I can't think of any practical way of getting the nut installed on the inside of the keg through the small hole in the top of the keg.

You could: tape a wrench, to a broomstick
Beforehand: place wrench, nut , washer, and gasket in freezer, along with a generous helping of keg lube.
Once all is cold, assemble your "stack up" of nut, washer, gasket, liberally buttered with keg lube, into a box end wrench, line it up with the hole, ( heh, heh...) , and turn the valve into the stack up from the outside.

Vaseline would work better, but be harder to remove......:D

Yea.....don't I feel like an idiot :drunk: Didn't think this one all the way through. I think the only way to make this work would be to weld on a nut, which is easily done. I'll see what I can come up with.

It's good you asked, then! Much better than drilling a hole on your keg and then realizing what you didn't think about .:mug:

How long before you start to see pressure building in your sanke? I put my first ten gallon batch into my keg, Friday night, and haven't seen any pressure and I'm wondering if I should start to check my work.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back