Cheap no-rinse sanitizer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantodd

Reaction score
I was just at Smart & Final and picked up a 1 gallon jug of Ajax sanitizer. They had a number of sanitizers but most recommended a much longer contact time and Ajax only recommends 60 seconds which is great for my use. Ajax was the most expensive at $14/gallon but I figure that at .25 oz to the gallon dilution I'll be saving quite a bit of money for what is almost certainly the same results. Naturally if I have any infections I'll post back but for now I'd recommend anyone go to your local restaurant supply place and pick some up.

One of the other products also gave instructions for using it to sanitize "beverage dispensing equipment" so I suspect this is essentially the same as our popular sanitizers.

Ingredients:
Octyl decyl dimethyl ammonium chloride ----- 2.25%
Dioctyl dimethyl ammonium chloride ------ .90%
Didecyl dimethyl ammonium chloride ------ 1.35%
Dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride ------ 3.00%
Other Ingredients --------- 92.50%

The other 2 sanitizers I checked had a sub-set of these active ingredients but were both 10% active to 90% "other" ingredients. (one of them had only Dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride and the other had one other of the above ingredients which I don't recall right now) One was Lysol and the other was the store brand, I don't remember which had which ingredients.

This is specifically marketed for food contact surfaces. Here is a picture of the side panel.

5878-sanitizer.jpg

dantodd said:
I was just at Smart & Final and picked up a 1 gallon jug of Ajax sanitizer. They had a number of sanitizers but most recommended a much longer contact time and Ajax only recommends 60 seconds which is great for my use. Ajax was the most expensive at $14/gallon but I figure that at .25 oz to the gallon dilution I'll be saving quite a bit of money for what is almost certainly the same results. Naturally if I have any infections I'll post back but for now I'd recommend anyone go to your local restaurant supply place and pick some up.

One of the other products also gave instructions for using it to sanitize "beverage dispensing equipment" so I suspect this is essentially the same as our popular sanitizers.

Ingredients:
Octyl decyl dimethyl ammonium chloride ----- 2.25%
Dioctyl dimethyl ammonium chloride ------ .90%
Didecyl dimethyl ammonium chloride ------ 1.35%
Dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride ------ 3.00%
Other Ingredients --------- 92.50%

The other 2 sanitizers I checked had a sub-set of these active ingredients but were both 10% active to 90% "other" ingredients. (one of them had only Dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride and the other had one other of the above ingredients which I don't recall right now) One was Lysol and the other was the store brand, I don't remember which had which ingredients.

This is specifically marketed for food contact surfaces. Here is a picture of the side panel.

5878-sanitizer.jpg
Is this stuff made for use in a situation like brewing? It looks more like it is designed to sanitize food prep surfaces. It mentions nothing of rinsing. I guess I'm a little leary. If you don't rinse it, will it impart flavor in your brew? THAT is one thing I'd be concerned about; the other is whether it is safe to ingest in the amounts that might be left when sanitizing with it.

Use in 3rd sink for sanitizing warewashing items or in spray bottle for counters, tabletops and in-place equipment
No chlorine odor formula is effective in hard water up to 500 ppm
1/4 oz. per gallon dilution; 1 gallon of concentrate makes 512 gallons of ready-to-use sanitizer solution
Multi-quat, formula
Deodorizes and leaves no residual odors
EPA Registration No. 6836-70-4582

from the material safety data sheet said:
INGESTION: May be harmful if swallowed in large amounts

http://www.colpalcommercial.com/pdfs/msds/04963MSDS.pdf

Sounds ideal to me, if its safe for food prep it will be safe for brewing. I'll be looking out for some here in the UK:mug:

bikebryan said:
Is this stuff made for use in a situation like brewing? It looks more like it is designed to sanitize food prep surfaces. It mentions nothing of rinsing. I guess I'm a little leary. If you don't rinse it, will it impart flavor in your brew? THAT is one thing I'd be concerned about; the other is whether it is safe to ingest in the amounts that might be left when sanitizing with it.

The very last line of the directions say to drain and air dry.

orfy said:
Is this stuff any good.

Only £5.84 for 5l and at 0.5% that's a lot of cleaner!

http://www.mustang-cleaningsupplies...intProdInfoD=SOLA-BAC+BACTERICIDAL+CLEAN+5LTR

Here is the MSDS for the sola-bac. http://www.cloverchemicals.com/uk/msds/sola_bac_319.pdf

It looks like it contains both the active ingredient in Ajax plus Lye (sodium hydroxide) I'd be a little concerned about lye depending on concentration.

The promotional flier is here: http://www.cloverchemicals.com/uk/leaflets/solabac_319_1.pdf

The promo does say that rinsing is required.

Latest posts

Back