Cheap, nasty, and diluted vodka for airlocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klnosaj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was rummaging around in the garage and came across a sealed bottle of diluted vodka. It's unopened (though prolly 10 years old) but only 50 proof. Think I can still use it in my airlocks? I usually buy whatever is cheapest at my local beer store ($100 for 12 beers and a two dollar bottle of "Royal Gate." Yes, they look at me funny) and use that, especially in my Better Bottles which are ALWAYS sucking the stuff out of the airlock. 25% ETOH is sufficient to kill all the nasties, no?

I went through a bottle of Taaka vodka this way, a bottle my dad found laying in the street unopened. It's too horrible to drink as intended, easily mistaken for hand sanitizer :D I particularly choose vodka in the airlocks of lagers in both primary and lagering stage due to the amount that can get sucked in as it cools. No problems with it.

I had to stop using air locks several years ago due to aggressive fermentation clogging and pushing them off. Blow of tube down into a mason jar of diluted Star-San gets the job done for me.

Use star san in your airlocks. Don't waste your money even on cheap vodka.

Back