Cheap compact wort pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one of these beige pumps a while back and finally got to try it out yesterday.
Used it to vorlauf the mash in an igloo cooler and then pump from igloo cooler into kettle.
Also used it to pump from outlet of counterflow wort chiller into the top of a fastferment on a stand.

I also bought some cheap brass 1/2" BSP to 1/2" barbed adapters on eBay which are a requirement to do anything useful with this pump.

I am somewhat concerned using this at boiling temperatures so keeping uses below that for not.

I bought one of these for speed control
s-l300.jpg

My power supply was a 18V laptop power brick and I bought a barrel jack to plug it in to.

It was a very janky set up but I will refine it for the next brew day.

Very satisfied.

N4FJzy2dKr4mpMbq6
I use the exact same speed controllers but I used stainless camlock fittings from bargain fittings instead of messing with hose barbs. the pumps are pps plastic which is the same materiel the impellers on the chugger and march pumps are made of so I dont see cause for concern myself.
Also 18v can burn these pumps out from what Ive read... I believe the max voltage they can tolerate without damage was 17v... unless your using the 24v version and underpowering them in which case you may see the same issues as many others do after a short amount of use... If it were me I'd spend the $5 on the correct power supply for the pump buts thats your call.
I also used this controller too and it works ok as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111826110737?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I bought one of these beige pumps a while back and finally got to try it out yesterday.
Used it to vorlauf the mash in an igloo cooler and then pump from igloo cooler into kettle.
Also used it to pump from outlet of counterflow wort chiller into the top of a fastferment on a stand.

Very satisfied.

Cool... so any initial particles when starting the vorlauf didn't cause issues, I take it.

Good to know.

Just for clarification, yes I was talking about the 24V pump. Particles did not cause any trouble in vorlauf / recirc or wort transfer. I whirlpool my wort after flameout and then opened the valve to the counterflow chiller and it pumped wort and residual trub to the fermentor just fine.

Just for clarification, yes I was talking about the 24V pump. Particles did not cause any trouble in vorlauf / recirc or wort transfer. I whirlpool my wort after flameout and then opened the valve to the counterflow chiller and it pumped wort and residual trub to the fermentor just fine.

Thats really good news that its working for you and I'm not trying to be a smart ass or rain on your parade but someone needs to mention it doesnt change the fact that there are many many people who tried to pump trub or grain husks with this family or pumps and didnt get as lucky as you've been... I just feel that people should maybe go back and read some of the comments mentioning that over and over from people in this thread and many other "cheap pump or Small dc pump" threads before they decide to chance it like you have and end up very frustrated when thier luck ends.
The pumps are very small and it doesnt take much to seize or damage them. they actually use the liquid as lubricant and coolant in the tight space between the magnet and motor coil and solids will end up there and cause wear or jamming of the pump. Its the #1 complaint about these pumps for a reason.

My first one jammed up once in a while. Ive my new one for a few months for mash recirculation and it hasn't jammed yet. I think it has to do with the condition of the stainless disc that goes around the impeller.

I picked up a few of these pumps and they work awesome! But does anyone have a rough estimate of the PSI rating on these things?

I want to build a flow meter with a solenoid valve, but the ones I've found have a minimum operating pressure of 3 psi. Just wondering if our little pumps even have that?

Cheers!

I picked up a few of these pumps and they work awesome! But does anyone have a rough estimate of the PSI rating on these things?

I want to build a flow meter with a solenoid valve, but the ones I've found have a minimum operating pressure of 3 psi. Just wondering if our little pumps even have that?

Cheers!

Typically the 12V ones have 3m max head = 4.2 psi
Problem is if you only need 3 psi to Crack open the valve, or sustained 3 psi because once water is flowing the pressure at the valve will drop.

Is there a way to remove the impeller on the tan ones?
Should be able to remove the 4 screws on the pump housing, once removed, you can pull the entire impeller, shaft, and magnet out for cleaning. I haven't done it yet because I use the pump to pump my cleaning fluid around when done. I also use it to pump water around before brewing.

Should be able to remove the 4 screws on the pump housing, once removed, you can pull the entire impeller, shaft, and magnet out for cleaning. I haven't done it yet because I use the pump to pump my cleaning fluid around when done. I also use it to pump water around before brewing.

this is exactly what you do to take them apart

Interesting, it seems to be in there very firmly, like the shaft is interference fit into place, and I'm concerned about breaking the impeller.

Do you have photos of one taken apart?

I have 2 of these 24v pumps. I connect them direct to my ball valves via camlocks. Using 1 to whirlpool has cut my immersion chiller cooling time way way down.
I am converting over to electric brewery so am going to use them to recirc my HLT water and whirlpool my wort when chilling. I have a cooler MT so I won't be recirc that until I upgrade to HERMS, so hopefully I don't get any pumps stuck, so far after 5 batches I am good to go (I also use a hop spider).
I plan on using the shown waterproof connectors (far left 2 pin ones) really close to the pumps so I can disconnect all the wires from them.
I plan on installing the shown power supply and controllers in my control panel.

Pin.jpg

control.jpg

power.jpg

I have 2 of these 24v pumps. I connect them direct to my ball valves via camlocks. Using 1 to whirlpool has cut my immersion chiller cooling time way way down.
I am converting over to electric brewery so am going to use them to recirc my HLT water and whirlpool my wort when chilling. I have a cooler MT so I won't be recirc that until I upgrade to HERMS, so hopefully I don't get any pumps stuck, so far after 5 batches I am good to go (I also use a hop spider).
I plan on using the shown waterproof connectors (far left 2 pin ones) really close to the pumps so I can disconnect all the wires from them.
I plan on installing the shown power supply and controllers in my control panel.

Do you have a source you can tell us about for the waterproof connectors?
Did you just use BSP to Camlock fittings? If so, do you have a source for those as well?

Do you have a source you can tell us about for the waterproof connectors?
Did you just use BSP to Camlock fittings? If so, do you have a source for those as well?
standard 1/2" stainless camlocks thread onto the pumps just fine with some teflon tape.... I also use stainless camlock fittings directly attached to mine... There is no need for bsp treaded fittings at all.

bought some on ebay and some from bargainfittings.com which were better quality.

Interesting, it seems to be in there very firmly, like the shaft is interference fit into place, and I'm concerned about breaking the impeller.

Do you have photos of one taken apart?

The magnetic force seems to make it seem glued in there but I can second that they do pull right out. I have swapped the guts from a 12v version to a 24v version because I had a coated magnet that was molded wrong and would stuck from time to time... I had a 12v pump I dropped and broke and since ony the motor windings are different all other parts are interchangable.

Ebay, search "5pairs 2pin waterproof" just like that, spacing and everything. I have a 1/2 npt die I ran over the threads to cut them better for 1/2" but don't think you need to. I to got my cam from ebay.

Ajw85
Water proof connectors are unnecessary. I use connectors from my Drone builds, DC very small male, female sets, 10 packs only couple bucks a bag from China.

Ya, but this way they don't get any sticky wort down in there. They were only a couple bucks from China too.

anyone come across a switch that functions as a selector 2 position switch that ALSO converts to 12V DC? I would very much to use my pump with my new electric panel but don't want to have a plug and the AC adapter and the PWM

anyone come across a switch that functions as a selector 2 position switch that ALSO converts to 12V DC? I would very much to use my pump with my new electric panel but don't want to have a plug and the AC adapter and the PWM

I dont follow on what your asking for here? You can put a switch on any power supply easily and the pwm controller gets wired inline after the dc power adapter/supply.

I've been browsing this thread for a while and was getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these cheap pumps when I came across this listing on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brushless-Water-Pump-WDB-38C-24V-Weilibao-Solar-Power-Aquarium-Cooling-System-/222115164536?hash=item33b7187178:g:6tAAAOSw5dNWit2p

It's virtually the same pump with barb fittings instead of threaded. The guy is trying to unload a bunch of them so I was able to pick up 4 for $5 each! He was willing to combine shipping too so total price for 4 pumps shipped was around $29.

I just tested mine today and it worked great!

I didn't see any mention of food grade quality. Did you ask him about that?

Edit. Disregard. I reread the listing. It says food grade.

I've been browsing this thread for a while and was getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these cheap pumps when I came across this listing on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brushless-Water-Pump-WDB-38C-24V-Weilibao-Solar-Power-Aquarium-Cooling-System-/222115164536?hash=item33b7187178:g:6tAAAOSw5dNWit2p

It's virtually the same pump with barb fittings instead of threaded. The guy is trying to unload a bunch of them so I was able to pick up 4 for $5 each! He was willing to combine shipping too so total price for 4 pumps shipped was around $29.

I just tested mine today and it worked great!

I am always amazed at myself when I completely read the specs on something (like these little pumps) and feel like I know what to expect.....then I am surprised when it is delivered and see actually how small these things really are. If it works out for my system this maybe the greatest purchase ever for small space brewers!!"

I am always amazed at myself when I completely read the specs on something (like these little pumps) and feel like I know what to expect.....then I am surprised when it is delivered and see actually how small these things really are. If it works out for my system this maybe the greatest purchase ever for small space brewers!!"

I just got 8 from the eBay auction. They are tiny! Good thing I only paid $52 for 8. Haha

It would be nice if someone could get the mfg to make these with npt threads

Aren't they? My FPT quick disconnects screwed right on:

These pumps have 1/2" BSP fittings. It just so happens that 1/2" BSP threads are very similar to 1/2" NPT in design so 1/2" fittings work with both thread types. Nice coincidence for us.

Last edited:
These pumps have 1/2" BSP. I just so happens that 1/2" BSP threads are very similar to 1/2" NPT in design so 1/2" fittings work with both thread types. Nice coincidence for us.

Ah.. good to know. Fortunately that made integration relatively easy...

Thanks.

Just bought one of them from ebay, this is exactly that kind of thread I was looking for. Thanks for all the info here!

Does anyone know if you can put a ball lock on the out out of this pump to control flow rate? Like you can w a chugger?

Does anyone know if you can put a ball lock on the out out of this pump to control flow rate? Like you can w a chugger?

I don't see why not, all you are doing is restricting flow. It appears that some folks have also done this by wiring in a potentiometer.

I don't see why not, all you are doing is restricting flow. It appears that some folks have also done this by wiring in a potentiometer.

I'd actually recommend a PWM motor controller rather than a simple potentiometer... there's some detail on that earlier in this thread...

These pumps have 1/2" BSP. I just so happens that 1/2" BSP threads are very similar to 1/2" NPT in design so 1/2" fittings work with both thread types. Nice coincidence for us.

The most recently posted eBay link shows photos that beg to differ. which is why I made my comment in the first place

Latest posts

Back