Charcoal or Propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Per pound, lump is more expensive than briquettes, but I still buy it.

Also, +1 on the chimney starter. No lighter fluid and then when they are ready you can pour the coals where you want them.

BlindLemonLars said:
I too use a chimney starter, and all the little coals end up falling out the bottom as I carry it to the grill.

I have always used my chimney right on the coal rack in the grill. That way I don't have to worry about any of the red hots getting out and if they do, no big deal.

I've found the best deals on Cowboy brand lump charcoal at True Value Hardware stores! Trader Joe's carries the 10 lb. bags and I used to get them there until I saw the 20 lb. bags at True Value for just a couple bucks more!

orfy said:
Ed, how do you manage the heat on one of those.

With my grill I have 4 ways.

1. Time after lighting the coal
2. Hight of the fire basket from the fixed grill (adjustable)
3. Distance from the coal. (Big grill so I can cook away from the fire)
4. Lid up or down.

1. Ten minutes for most cooks.

2. I have an adjustable grate. 4 inches to 9 inches from coals.
3. See # 2
4. Lid down. Vent below and above allows precise temp control. Egg turns into an oven.

I've been a GrillMeister for decades and the Egg is the best thing to cook on bar none!

TronCarter said:
Per pound, lump is more expensive than briquettes, but I still buy it.

I get 20# for $9.99 every day for B&B lump. There is no comparison to kingsford or other briquetts.

Here is what I have heard is in their briquettes and what each ingredient is used for: wood char (heat source), mineral char (heat source), mineral carbon (heat source), limestone (uniform visual ashing), starch (binder), borax (press release), sodium nitrate (ignition aid), sawdust (ignition aid).

Lump charcoal has one ingredient. Charred Wood. That's it.

Nuff Said.

Rhoobarb said:
I've found the best deals on Cowboy brand lump charcoal at True Value Hardware stores! Trader Joe's carries the 10 lb. bags and I used to get them there until I saw the 20 lb. bags at True Value for just a couple bucks more!

Cowboy lump basically sucks. It is nothing but charred flooring scraps. It burns fast and create a sh&t load of ash. There are better lumps on the market. They key test is to see how dense each piece is. If it is light as a feather like Cowboy, then you know it is flooring scraps and is junk.

Just my two cents.

I use a decent propane grill on a fairly regular basis. I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to Ed's expensive egg and fancy charcoal, but it makes a pretty darn good steak, chicken breast, or kabob a few times a week.

I read somewhere that as long as there's a searing hot place for the drippings to land (in my case, burner "tents"), you'll get reasonably good grilled flavor. It seems to hold true.

Anyway, I'm voting for convenience over gourmet, though I do admit a little twinge of jealousy when I see the tasty goodness coming from that green egg.

Yuri_Rage said:
I use a decent propane grill on a fairly regular basis. I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to Ed's expensive egg and fancy charcoal, but it makes a pretty darn good steak, chicken breast, or kabob a few times a week.

Hey, if you are happy with it, nothing else matters. :)

I use a propane grill 95% of the time. Biggest reasons: 1. the cost of charcoal 2. convenience. As far as I am concerned there is no reason to debate about flavor. Most meat grilled over charcoal tastes much, much better IMHO than meat done on a gas grill. Still, there are things you can do, such as using smoking chips, that will help somewhat. And, as others have said, grilling outside using gas still beats cooking inside by a mile.

One big recommendation: get a good grill. After years of using cheap gas grills I finally got a Weber and it made all the difference in the world.

Regarding chimneys for starting charcoal? I don't know why anyone ever messes with lighter fluid. Once you try a chimney, you'll never use lighter fluid again. They work amazinly well. They save money (lighter fluid is expensive these days) and using the chimney eliminates any chance of having lighter fluid flavor in your meat.

EdWort said:
Cowboy lump basically sucks. It is nothing but charred flooring scraps. It burns fast and create a sh&t load of ash. There are better lumps on the market. They key test is to see how dense each piece is. If it is light as a feather like Cowboy, then you know it is flooring scraps and is junk.

Just my two cents.
Ed, I'd heard that before, but it is the only lump I can get around here. And it's still way better than Kingsford. So, it's what I use. I've been okay with it.

It just ain't the same here as it is in Texas (or Memphis or KC or the Carolinas), where they know good BBQ and can probably get a variety of lump charcoal. Here, people think places like Carson's and The Patio serve good ribs. Blandest. Ribs. Ever.

At least my smoker came from Uvalde!

There are some great reviews of lump charcoals here.

Pretty much the consensus among charcoal users is lump and to use a chimney starter. So is the chimney stainless or galvanized, or does it matter?
Where can you buy one? I like to see, touch, feel stuff like that before I buy.
Any testemonials for the "superior" chimney on the market, or one you have you really really like?

I found a nice one for my husband online - i think it was 9.99 plus delivery. nice thick steel...
if you buy one of the cheap ones they don't last too long (after regular use)

LouT said:
... Where can you buy one? ...

I got mine at True Value Hardware. Just a standard Weber galvanized. Works just fine. I keep it outdoors under the smoker year round. It's a chimney starter, for gosh sakes - it doesn't have to be pretty! :)

+ 1 for the Lump Charcoal and + 1 for the chimney starter.

I use lump charcoal in my forge, and lump charcoal in my BBQ, I buy some ( royal oak & cowboy brand ) and I make it too , the best stuff I've made is from rock maple. Yummy

Jens

Forgot about this thread, I guess the answer is my propane is good for my day-to-day grilling, but I need to get a nice smoker (or green egg) for the big grilling sessions.

Need to get one of those chimney starters for sure, will check out online and local hardware stores - clearance time of year now I'd guess BONUS!

LouT said:
Need to get one of those chimney starters for sure, will check out online and local hardware stores - clearance time of year now I'd guess BONUS!
I was slow to catch on, but finally bought a chimney a few years ago. It's a cheap galvanized one and it looks like hell, but it still works just great. Now I feel stupid about all the bottles of charcoal lighter fluid I've bought during my lifetime...

If you're loading yours up with lump charcoal, be careful how you fill it. In particular, don't dump all the dust and small particles in the chimney, they will fill all the gaps and restrict airflow.

If you do long, slow cooks, lump isn't really the best choice. It burns way too hot, way too fast (If you've got an egg, that's a different story, because of the heat retention). If you have a bullet type smoker, you can cook for 24 hours (if you are so inclined) on briquets. The trick is to completely fill the charcoal chamber with briquets, then add approx 10 lit coals right in the center. Keeping your vents almost closed, you will have a slow controlled burn that will last forever. Just make sure you get a decent quality briquet.

orfy said:
Ed, how do you manage the heat on one of those.

With my grill I have 4 ways.

1. Time after lighting the coal
2. Hight of the fire basket from the fixed grill (adjustable)
3. Distance from the coal. (Big grill so I can cook away from the fire)
4. Lid up or down.

1. About 10 minutes. I light mine with a MAPP torch. I wait longer with fresh lump if I'm cooking chicken as I want a cleaner fire.

2. & 3. I can adjust my grid height so I can cook in the dome part and take advantage of the reflected heat.

4. Lid down most of the time. With the lid down, I can control temp from 93 C. to 370 C. without a problem. It's all about the venting on top and bottom.

A load of lump charcoal will last 22 hours to smoke 30 lbs. of pork and still have enough left over to do steaks the next day.

Here's my babies.

EggsOnDeck.JPG

Ó Flannagáin said:
Dang, just went and priced some of those eggs. Those things are expensive!

Yeah, they can be, but considering that they have a life time warranty, they will outlast any gasser and you'll spend almost as much on a new good gasser.

The time to get one is during the Texas Eggfest!

Electric

I've got one of these:

0263-00430-8107.jpg

And I really like it. I did a whole chicken and some Elgin sausage this weekend and it was AWESOME! Just add a chunk or 2 of wood (I used hickory this weekend) every hour or so.

Some people will literally try to cut your nuts off if you even say that propane is good for grilling :D

Personally, I have several methods. I switch between them depending on a variety of reasons. Propane, no brainer for convenience. Fast, hot and produces great results but isn't suitable when you want the smoke unless you set a tray in one side.

Charcoal, well if you have the time it is hard to beat but instead of charcoal I usually just make a wood fire if I am going to go that far. Also there is the smoker which is wood fired but I'm not getting that rolling unless I have a few picnics, some sausages, etc to fill the thing :D (or unless I am doing a brisket).

Also, SWMBO uses the grill and she won't mess with charcoal so that is another possible consideration. The purist in me says "wood fire" but the guy working all the time and has to grill stuff for a family of five says "Propane" :D. The total purist in me says "Eat that stuff raw son"! haha

Why isn't this a poll?

I used to be millitant charcoal until my BIL gave me his old LP Webber and I ran out of charcoal. I'm hooked on the convenience. No more bags of ash or waiting 40 minutes for the grill to heat up.

I still like cooking on coal, but I gotta say that there's nothing more frustrating than waiting 20 minutes for a grill to heat up so you can cook a 4 ounce filet.

Cheesefood said:
I still like cooking on coal, but I gotta say that there's nothing more frustrating than waiting 20 minutes for a grill to heat up so you can cook a 4 ounce filet.

My mini BGE takes about 10 minutes to get to 700 degrees for an amazing sear.

Trexmini1.jpg

I sear em' for 60 seconds a side then pull them off to rest for 15 minutes while the egg cools down to 400 degrees. Then I put them back on for a few minutes a side with some Jack Daniels wood chips.

Hmmm. Can't get a better steak machine than this. Ready for lunch anyone?

Trexmini2.jpg

Ed, if I didn't already own three grills (Full size Webber Silver, Webber LP, and Homer Simpson Smokey Joe (also Webber)), I'd buy an egg.

I think this is a very interesting discussion on this forum because many, if not all of you, go ahead and spend the extra hours and times preparing your beer for flavor but with another food entity for some, the extra effort aint worth it.

I for one have used charcoal as much as possible and will usual toss in some specific wood chips, i've been known to throw in some spruce when cooking up elk or deer to give it a real Oregon foresty flavor. Seems to go over well and remind people of camping.

EdWort said:
Yeah, they can be, but considering that they have a life time warranty, they will outlast any gasser and you'll spend almost as much on a new good gasser.

The time to get one is during the Texas Eggfest!

A few of my co-workers and I have been talking about the egg.....we are waiting to see who will be first to grab one.

Typically, I am grilling for 2-4 people. What size do you think would be the ticket?

Klainmeister said:
I think this is a very interesting discussion on this forum because many, if not all of you, go ahead and spend the extra hours and times preparing your beer for flavor but with another food entity for some, the extra effort aint worth it.

I for one have used charcoal as much as possible and will usual toss in some specific wood chips, i've been known to throw in some spruce when cooking up elk or deer to give it a real Oregon foresty flavor. Seems to go over well and remind people of camping.

It's a little different when you grill everynight for 1 meal. Brewing 1-2 times a week for a couple weeks worth of beer is completely different.

brewt00l said:
A few of my co-workers and I have been talking about the egg.....we are waiting to see who will be first to grab one.

Typically, I am grilling for 2-4 people. What size do you think would be the ticket?

Go with a large. It's the most versatile. It has an 18" grid and there are loads of eggcessories for it whether you want to slow smoke ribs, pork, brisket, grill burgers, brats, pork tenderloins, fish, or bake pizza & breads. It's pretty amazing at the quality of cooked food that it turns out.

I've competed with mine and won trophies & cash, I've traveled with the small ones, but now they are all home on the newly stained deck.

I'll be doing Tri-Tip steaks on it tonight.

I'm a charcoal guy. Small Weber and a smoker I made out of a 55 galon oil drum(didn't have oil in it though) that can smoke/grill big or large quantity stuff.

My dad just bought this:
http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2007/charcoal/Performer.aspx
Its pretty much a Weber with a gas assist to get the coals going. I haven't seen it in action, and he's only used it a couple times so far but he likes it.

EdWort said:
Go with a large. It's the most versatile. It has an 18" grid and there are loads of eggcessories for it whether you want to slow smoke ribs, pork, brisket, grill burgers, brats, pork tenderloins, fish, or bake pizza & breads. It's pretty amazing at the quality of cooked food that it turns out.

I've competed with mine and won trophies & cash, I've traveled with the small ones, but now they are all home on the newly stained deck.

I'll be doing Tri-Tip steaks on it tonight.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have four dealers close by and I happen to be stopping into the closest one this evening for something else. Sounds like I am going to have to take a close look :)

Klainmeister said:
Apples and oranges. One afternoon of brewing produces enough beer to last me two months, but I've got to cook nearly every night. If I had to brew EVERY time I wanted a beer...well, I'd quit drinking beer. Besides, brewing is an elective hobby, not a daily necessity.

When cooking in itself becomes the "event," I fire up the charcoal grill or smoker, pour a cold one, light a cigar and relax. If I'm smoking a brisket for ten hours (as I did this past Sunday) the 1/2 hour to light the charcoal is insignificant, and is actually an enjoyable part of the routine. But Monday through Friday, a different set of rules and priorities takes over. When I get home hungry from work at 7:30 I want the meat to hit the heat in 5 minutes, not 30. I also don't want to deal with the mess of charcoal and ashes on a daily basis...I've got enough to do already.

FWIW, I have no trouble turning out spectacular food on whatever grill I'm using.

Charcoal all the way. I would rather cook indoors than on a gas grill so even the convenience factor of propane is not attractive to me. IMHO grilling is supposed to be for special occasions when you have time. As for regular dinners, that is what stoves are for. Propane is great for brewing and frying though.

Klainmeister said:

I do everything from cheese, to salami, blood sausage, wursts, bread, etc. I also have about 5,000 sq. ft. of garden space from which we can, pickle and store lots of food. I am very much into 'doing it right'. The difference between propane grilled food and charcoal grilled food is not huge, imo. Different, yes. Better, probably (there are some times I want the searing but not necessarily the smokiness).

Now if I am going to do something like Jerk Pork or Jerk Chicken (we can't get Pimento wood here in PA :( , I'd have to grow it) I will absolutely start up a wood fire for that. Or Brisket, well the smoker gets turned on for that. What I am getting at is if the dish has to have that smoky flavor, there really is no substitute. But if I am just grilling burgers, steaks, chicken etc. I can do without the added smoke in place of convenience.

And, as I mentioned earlier, it isn't only me using the grill. :fro: One day I hope to have the time to build a real giant outdoor wood fired oven for things like whole pig roasts. Now that would be awesome. Not for bragging rights, but because the whole act in itself is just awesome. Roasting a big ole pig in a wood fired oven, drinking homebrew....that's livin :D

BlindLemonLars said:
When I get home hungry from work at 7:30 I want the meat to hit the heat in 5 minutes, not 30. I also don't want to deal with the mess of charcoal and ashes on a daily basis...I've got enough to do already.

I hear ya. That's one of the neat things about the egg. It's ready to cook in 10 minutes like most gassers. When you are done, close the lid and vents and it goes out and the left over lump chacoal can be used again.. The next time, knock of the little bit of ash with your ash tool and go to town. Lump charcoal produces very little ash compared to briquettes.

Did Tri-Tip steaks last night. It's pork tenderloins tonight!

The egg sounds great, I'll have to look into those.

EdWort said:
It's pork tenderloins tonight!
Outstanding! I do mine with a dry rub...basically it's brown sugar, ancho chili powder, salt, cumin, onion powder and a pinch or two of habanero powder. (I make the habanero powder myself, using a process that might be too hazardous to share here!) After rubbing the tenderloins down, I use a food syringe to inject them with garlic infused olive oil and let them rest in the fridge overnight.

I prefer to slowly smoke them with apple wood, but they can be grilled as well. If using the smoker, I'll mop them every half hour or so with a mixture of beer, vinegar and apple juice. (Actually, I use a spray bottle rather than a mop.) Slice thin on a bias, and drizzle with a orange juice, honey and habanero reduction sauce and some diced chives.

Oh yeah...break out the BIG beer glass with this one.

Back