Chapman ThermoBarrel Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daphatgrant

Reaction score
Hey HBT, I'm in the market for a larger mash tun and the 15gal Chapman ThermoBarrel has my attention. Looking around I've seen it come in different variations ranging from $410 down to $305. I know that $305 is a lot for an insulated mash tun but the increased size would be really nice.

Before I click the "confirm purchase" button does anyone have experience with any variation of the ThermoBarrel? I've got a false bottom from my current round mash tun that I believe I can use in the Chapman to save some $.

Thanks for the input guys.

I upgraded from a 10g Rubbermaid MLT w/ a custom copper manifold after about 6 years of AG. Never a problem with the MLT but it limited my ability to brew 6g batches of higher gravity beers.
I went w/ a 15g Blichmann w/ their false bottom. It is great quality and gives me the option of direct heating if needed.
I think that's the biggest limitation I see w/ the Chapman.

I picked up a 10gal ThermoBarrel and bucket pacakage during their kickstarter campaign in 2013. I am completely satisfied with it. To address your false bottom the fittings are not 100% 1/2" the inside fittings are 3/8" (?) you might have to buy a fitting to make it work.

The max grain I can fit my 10gal is 27lbs. The ThermalBarrel does a great job maintaining temps. It usually drops 2* during a 60min mash. I modified the top port and added a Blichmann auto sparge.

If direct fire / heating is something you are looking for the thermal barrel wouldn't work.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504284424.565490.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504284463.240621.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504284560.325568.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504284653.217410.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504284730.273116.jpg

I bought a 15 gallon mash tun earlier this year. It has worked great for me so far. As mentioned above, mine loses about 2 degrees in a 60 minute mash. I moved to no-sparge brewing with it (my old mash tun wasn't big enough). I didn't order a false bottom or thermometer, but it was thrown in for the same price when it was delivered. As mentioned above, you cannot direct fire with it, but that's not a factor for me. Overall, I am very happy with it.

I picked up a 10gal ThermoBarrel and bucket pacakage during their kickstarter campaign in 2013. I am completely satisfied with it. To address your false bottom the fittings are not 100% 1/2" the inside fittings are 3/8" (?) you might have to buy a fitting to make it work.

The max grain I can fit my 10gal is 27lbs. The ThermalBarrel does a great job maintaining temps. It usually drops 2* during a 60min mash. I modified the top port and added a Blichmann auto sparge.

If direct fire / heating is something you are looking for the thermal barrel wouldn't work.
Thanks for all of the info! I'll have to check and see if they changed the interior fitting size or not, their site currently says "1/2" NPT compatible ports" but a 1/8" fitting is compatible with a 5" fitting with enough adapters, lol. I'd much prefer to have 1/2" NPT on the inside but I can get a bushing reducer if needed. I'd most likely be following your lead and installing an auto-sparge as well. I was surprised by their price, I thought with the Blickmann name they'd be far more expensive. What modifications did you do to get the auto-sparge to work? I'm assuming a stainless steel 3/8" female to 1/2" female adapter like this one. Thanks again for all of the info.

You might check and see if he still has this

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=631693
Thanks, I'll check with him but the shipping from WA to NY would probably be a killer.

View attachment 412583
View attachment 412584
View attachment 412585
View attachment 412586
View attachment 412587

I'm considering buying the 10g version of one of these. The diptube I see advertised in the current version uses plastic (or silicon) tubing. Do you know where I could pickup a Stainless Steel diptube that would fit this, or a false bottom/duptube combo?

I'll be brewing in an apartment with limited space and I think this is just what I'll need. Planning to do one step infusion mashing and want something insulated that's stainless.

Thanks!

Back