changing yeast/hops; how much yeast? DME instead of LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surista

Reaction score
I'm making my third batch of homebrew. After drinking nothing but lagers for years, I've started enjoying a much wider variety of beers since moving to London last year - but I still enjoy lagers more, and I'd rather make beers I know I like to drink while I'm still learning how to brew my own.

Anyway - for my second batch I used this recipe (5 gallon batch):

113grm Northern Brewer Hops
2 x 1.5kg Liquid Light Malt Extract
Saflager S-23 Yeast
500g Spray malt light dried extract (for bottling)

This came out pretty good - my wife and mother in law liked it, so I have permission to brew more <g> - but the overall flavor didn't have a 'bottom' to it, if you know what I mean.

This time, I'm thinking about swapping out some of the incredients - any recommendations for the hobs and yeast? I was looking at WYeast 2007 for the yeast, and Saaz Vacuum Packed Leaf Hops for the hops.

Second - how much yeast am I supposed to use? The recipe doesn't say; I just used the whole batch (seems to be about 50mls, or 51.5 grams).

Finally - I used Cooper's carbonation drops instead of the DME - at the bottling stage - no fuss no muss. So I have a 500g package of light DME floating around. Could I use two packages (or four?) to eliminate one (or both) of the cans of liquid extract given in the recipe?

Txs in advance!

-S

Check out the recipe database here for some recipes. At the very least, you're gonna need some steeping grains to round out the flavor profile. I don't know what you're looking for so I can't make a specific recommendation. I personally like IPA's but not everyone likes 'em.

Using Coopers carbonation tabs are ok. They're easier.

You'll use one package of yeast (actually, two is better).

1.5kg of LME is about the same as 1.2 kg of DME, so five 500 gm packets to replace both cans.

Back