Changing airlock very quickly.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heteloto

Reaction score
I am new to the forum, awesome stuff guys! I apologize if this has been asked as im sure it has but after some searching i didnt see anything, so apologies if im repeating old news.

I brewed from scratch a spiced pumpkin ale.
Long story short, after about 4-5 hours fermentation started to take place, after about 9 or so hours air lock was filled with the scum and nasty ness...it overflowed and i lost about 2 ounces of liquid....(smelled so damn good though!!)

Anyhoozle the next morning I sanitized another airlock and VERY QUICKLY replaced the old one with a fresh one. Am I safe to assume no harm will be done to my baby? I would say in total the bung was exposed to air for one or two total seconds.

(this is a one gallon jug, #6 bung and a 3 piece airlock)

Thanks guys!

Well, you'll be just fine... however, you might want to install a blow off tube. There's plenty of CO2 being produced to where you won't have to worry about contamination with switching out the airlock, but if it got filled up with overflow once, count on it happening again. Search blow off tubes... it'll be your best bet.

I don't think you have anything to worry about at all. The actual activity of airflow through the bung is negligible. Of what does move through, the Krausen will blanket the beer from any no-goods that may be in the air. There's a CO2 blanket that should easy your mind from any oxidization concerns. So, unless you sneezed right in the bung during those 2 seconds, you have nothing to sweat.

:mug:

xjmox14x said:
Well, you'll be just fine... however, you might want to install a blow off tube. There's plenty of CO2 being produced to where you won't have to worry about contamination with switching out the airlock, but if it got filled up with overflow once, count on it happening again. Search blow off tubes... it'll be your best bet.

Here's a picture of one of my blow off tube equipped fermenters.

image-112810040.jpg

Works good during the vigorous part of fermentation and less mess.

You're fine! Don't worry! I'd say, sit back relax and have a homebrew but, have a store bought instead. In a month you'll enjoy the fruits of your labor.

exceptionally good stuff here! thanks so much!
my next batch will have a blow off tube.
for now i will enjoy a nice pumpking!!

Back