Champagne Yeast Starter Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky137

Reaction score
I made a starter Sunday night, of about 1.4 L or so water to about 2/3 or 3/4 c table sugar, with a pinch of yeast nutrient. Boiled it up, cooled it, and added to my erlenmeyer. I thought I had a packet of champagne yeast in the fridge, but couldn't find it, so had to let the starter sit sans yeast overnight until I could make it to the LHBS to pick up another packet. In all, the starter sat on my stir plate for about 20 hours without yeast (pitched in Monday night). I was impatient when I finally got it, and just dumped the yeast in dry (I've used this method before with no issue). Unfortunately, it did not take off!

After a few hours, I took the flask off the plate and submerged it in ~110 F water to try to get the yeasties going. Sure enough, CO2 started rising out of the starter, and the air lock started bubbling happily. I put it back on my plate and forgot about. A few hours later, however, it had cooled back down and was not fermenting anymore. I did the water bath again, letting it sit longer, hoping it would get going more, and although it did get going again, as soon as it had sat for a couple hours on the stir plate, it died back down once again.

So, are these yeast OK to use? I'm making an apple cider this afternoon, and although they seem to be somewhat healthy, they do not seem to want to ferment properly. If I end up pitching it and nothing happens, is it safe to try a new starter with some new yeast, and pitch those as well?

And thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Oh sorry, yes it's EC-1118.

And where did you get the idea to make a starter for it? 'Cuz it certainly wasn't from Lalvin (the manufacturer). Their instructions are:

"Rehydrate EC-1118 in 5 times its weight of potable water at 40°C. Let stand for at least 20 minutes
then gently stir occasionally to break up any clumps. Add to the must.
- THE TOTAL REHYDRATION DURATION SHOULD NEVER EXCEED 45 MINUTES
- AVOID COLD SHOCKING THE YEAST. THE TEMPERATURE DROP BETWEEN THE
MUST TO BE INOCULATED AND THE REHYDRATION MEDIUM SHOULD NEVER BE
>10°C (if any doubt, please contact your supplier or Lallemand)
- IT IS ESSENTIAL TO REHYDRATE THE YEAST IN A CLEAN CONTAINER.
- INITIAL REHYDRATION IN MUST IS NOT ADVISABLE."

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/images/library/EC1118_Yeast.pdf

Always best to look into the manufacturer's instructions and follow them closely. If you have another pack, pitch that as per instructions. If you don't, and really don't think your yeast are ready to ferment, you can either pitch them and hope for the best or go buy some more.

Good luck!

And where did you get the idea to make a starter for it? 'Cuz it certainly wasn't from Lalvin (the manufacturer). Their instructions are:

"Rehydrate EC-1118 in 5 times its weight of potable water at 40°C. Let stand for at least 20 minutes
then gently stir occasionally to break up any clumps. Add to the must.
- THE TOTAL REHYDRATION DURATION SHOULD NEVER EXCEED 45 MINUTES
- AVOID COLD SHOCKING THE YEAST. THE TEMPERATURE DROP BETWEEN THE
MUST TO BE INOCULATED AND THE REHYDRATION MEDIUM SHOULD NEVER BE
>10°C (if any doubt, please contact your supplier or Lallemand)
- IT IS ESSENTIAL TO REHYDRATE THE YEAST IN A CLEAN CONTAINER.
- INITIAL REHYDRATION IN MUST IS NOT ADVISABLE."

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/images/library/EC1118_Yeast.pdf

Always best to look into the manufacturer's instructions and follow them closely. If you have another pack, pitch that as per instructions. If you don't, and really don't think your yeast are ready to ferment, you can either pitch them and hope for the best or go buy some more.

Good luck!

I did a starter when I used this yeast for a mead, as per a suggestion I saw (can't remember if it was here or somewhere else), and it worked swimingly well... I think I may have cold shocked it this time, but I can't be sure.

Thanks very much for the help. Considering the yeast is dirt cheap, I think I'll just go grab another pack and use the manufacturer's directions.

Thanks!

Best of luck to you. I have some apple cider on the go myself using EC-1118.

Oh nice! My friend had some manufacturers coupons for Tree Top apple juice, which we read was a cheap, reliable must for ciders (nothing too fancy though, that's for sure). What kind of cider are you using? Any recommendations for future batches?

Back