Champagne yeast for melomel??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRXlerate

Reaction score
I haven't made a mead in 6 years, and I'm only my last few bottles of the batch that we did make. So long story short, I got lazy and ordered a raspberry melomel kit from Midwest. I ordered it with the white labs option, and it showed up with Champagne yeast. Isn't this going to make it more dry than I want it? I only ask because I don't think it's entirely done with fermenting, and it's at 1.000.

I bet it will be drier as typical Champagne yeast has the ability to ferment to higher alcohol levels then other yeasts.

What you can do is backsweeten if it is not sweet enough for you. I would do a search on back-sweetening and you should find some helpful info on how to do that. Know that you will need to add sorbate and sulfate to your must so that the additional honey you add doesn't kick start fermentation.

Short answer:
yes it will be drier...

Longer answer:
While champaign yeast will ferment drier, it does not mean your end product need be dry, you can backsweeten, and/or use a starting S.G. that is higher than normal (AKA add extra honey to compensate). In the end what you'll do is end up with a higher ABV but still be sweet.

The kit ? Hum?

Dry raspberry melomel ? Bleagh!

So if it was mine, I'd be making some raspberry and honey syrup, while letting it finish fermenting.

Why ? Well raspberry can be very overpowering, and quite acidic, so the raspberry bit of my syrup suggestion is to make it more fruity and the honey part is to sweeten and also cover any excess acidity.

I'd back sweeten to about 1.010 for a medium sweetness - it may need more........

regards

fatbloke

Back