Mexican honey melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeastie

Reaction score
The goal is to brew a melomel that closely resembles champagne in ABV and dryness but with a nice fruity flavor to make up for the relative mild flavor present in honey. I got 5Kg for 220 pesos ($11.96) in Tijuana and some frozen fruit from the grocery store.

5Kg Honey + a 2 cups extra I got from when I had bees
8lbs frozen strawberries
1.5lbs frozen raspberries
0.75lbs frozen cherries

I mixed the honey with room temperature water and brought it up to 1.100. Thawed the frozen fruit in the bags in a pot of water and then added it to the must, ended up filling a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket to the brim. Added a spoonful of pectic enzyme. Rehydrated an 8g sachet of QA23 yeast in 95F water for 20 min. I chose QA23 because it apparently ferments dry, tolerates 16% ABV, has low nitrogen requirements, has killer factor, has a wide temperature range, and results in nice fruit flavors. 24hrs later I stirred in 2.3g of Fermaid K. Punched down the cap a couple times a day and stirred to aerate, added another 2.3g Fermaid K 48hrs after pitching. Racked to carboy 5 days after pitching by filtering through a nylon paint strainer. The smell was amazing, most dominant was guava aroma, and general tropical fruit. Now a white scum on top with yeast activity. Fermentation the whole time has been in my bedroom, mostly between 68-75F.

Now we wait.
0227231812_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20230227-211550.png
Screenshot_20230227-211637.png
Screenshot_20230227-211816.png

Last edited:
be careful buying mexican honey - it is often diluted with fake adjuncts

be careful buying mexican honey - it is often diluted with fake adjuncts

Yeah that crossed my mind at the time because it was so cheap, but I figured Mexican labor was very cheap and after all beekeeping costs are mostly labor. But now after doing a bit more research, I'm inclined to think it was fake or at least adulterated. Damn.

Latest posts

Back