Chai tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchum

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of kombucha last night. I jumped the gun a bit and used chai tea. The recipe said black tea the back of the chai tea box said black tea so I went for it. After doing more research this morning, Ive been reading that although you can use chai, it's a little more prone to failure. I'm curious if I can just make a proper batch of good black tea and move the scoby over today. (it's been in the chai tea for less than 24 hours) Or should I just roll the dice and hope my scoby makes it through. Thanks

I'm not an expert here, but I'd just see how it comes out! It's never a bad idea to experiment with stuff, however if you really don't want a chai brew, it should bring no harm to the scoby if you place it in a new batch with regular black tea. Just make sure you go about it the same way you would if you were just starting a new batch.

Why not just brew some extra strong black tea and add it to the batch? Check the SG to make sure it's sufficiently sweet (at least 1.040) and make sure the pH is less than 5 to avoid mold and let it brew!

Back