CFC technique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acefaser

Reaction score
How are you guys running your counter flow chillers?
I use a march pump and just run a slow amount through the chiller directly into my carboy. Should I recirculate back into the boil kettle until the temp of all the wort is lower and then transfer the wart to the carboy?
Basically I think it would cool the wort in the same amount of time with the cool Colorado water, but just wondering what is the preferred method? I guess one advantage of recirculating would be to get a whirlpool before I transfer, but then I have to wait for the wort to settle before transferring and now the wort is cool and more susceptible to infection. Currently I whirlpool, let settle then transfer slowly to the carboy through the CFC. The water entering the carboy is about 68 degrees with this method.
Thoughts?

I use a lot of flame out hops, so I will recirculate first, until the entire batch is 120ish or less, then send to the CFC in the mid 60s. If I'm not using flame out hops ("whirlpool hops"), then I just go in one pass to the fermenter at a slow speed.

Back