CFC Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerklein2

Reaction score
After see the replies to my CFC vs. IC thread, I've decided to go with a CFC. I went and scouted Home Depot and Harbor Freight today. I picked up a propane torch kit at HF but I think I'm gonna return it and grab something simpler from HD. I found 50' of 3/8" copper at HD for $36 which is about the same price as coppertubingsales.com when you include shipping. I found a 50' rubber hose at HD for $25 but said not to use hot liquids. They had a special hose for $30 that said for hot liquids but the only difference to me seemed to be that it was red and the other one was black. I then found a 50' hot water hose at HF for $20. What do you guys think of these prices? Could I get the regular black rubber hose?

Another question I have is that all the tutorials for CFCs say to unroll the tubing and straighten it out, but IC instructions say not to. Considering copper work hardens, it doesn't make sense to me to unroll and re-roll, but it may be impossible to thread the hose on a coiled tube. Whats the answer here?

I'll be working on this over the weekend hopefully so I'll post some pics then if anyone cares.

I used a goodyear black rubber hose. Just make sure it's rubber.

Keep your copper coiled. Pour some soapy water into the hose and the then start pushing in your copper. When I made mine, i kept working the hose back into a coil. When I was done I had little movement of the copper from its original coil, and the final coil was pretty close to done.

I had a really hard time trying to push the coiled copper into the hose even with plenty of lubrication. You'll get about 8' through before it starts getting really difficult.

The best tip I can give you is to use dishwasher detergent to lubricate the inside of the rubber hose. Straight or bent, the copper will side on very easily with detergent.

Also, I would recommend wrapping the entire length of copper tubing with aluminum fencing wire to form a more turbulent water flow for better heat exchange. The wire also provides a more even space between the copper and rubber tubing to avoid dead spots.

Yeah, don't use aluminum. I once made the mistake of storing my IC in an aluminum pot for a few weeks.

When I took it out to use it, the bottom was corroded out - exactly where it was touching the aluminum.

FWIW: I used a copper gound wire from some romex I had kicking around and tack soldered it about every 6 - 8 inches.

Isn't 50' a bit much? I would think that you could get 2 chillers out of that. I think mine is close to 20 feet and I have to turn the water supply down a bit to keep it from getting too cold.

Yes, 50' will build two. Problem is you can't find the hose in 25' lengths so I'm just going to build 2 of them and sell the other.

I followed Bobby M's tutorial on building a CFC, just kind of thought I would throw it together one morning with some free time. When I was standing in the parking lot of my apartment complex at 9 pm cursing the copper for not going into the hose I realized I should have probably alotted a little more time. Aside from being a bit of a PITA to build, mine is only 20 feet and I can barely trickle the water through and bring my wort to 60 degrees. Make sure you sanitize well and they are absolutely great.

I don't know what the big thing is with the hose, I used an old garden hose that was in the garage and it works great. As long as you have water running through the hose before you start draining your wort and you'll be fine.

The hose choice really isn't a big deal. It may see 200F for short periods if you run boiling wort through the core with no coolant as your sanitizing step, but there will be no pressure in that short time. The temp ratings are assuming city water pressure at those temps.

Back