Cerveza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteOz77

Reaction score
Summer is upon us here in Aus, and I am brewing some things to drink in 6-8 weeks I wish I had longer to let it age, but I am not all that patient, and I will be drinking this type of beer in that time period, so it might as well be mine, even if it is young, it will be better than Corona.

I plan to brew a few of these in the later months of winter next year, so I have aged summer beers in summer, and aged winter beers in winter.

I am using a Cooper's extract, as I am not into Grain brewing yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best brew one of these type of beer? Or should I just follow the directions on the kit and wait it out?

Leave it sit in the sun to skunk like a Corona? There are a few threads around that talk about making this kind of beer that you might be able to dig up.

Liquidicem said:
Leave it sit in the sun to skunk like a Corona? There are a few threads around that talk about making this kind of beer that you might be able to dig up.

Gee! Thanks for your input, you have been less than helpful.:(

peteoz, are you talking about mexican beers in general? Recipes abound on numerous web sites. have you looked at catsmeow.com? or Gambrinusmug.com? Those are a couple I've been to that have quite an extensive archive of different beers. OOps, just checked and found that they are links from HBD (Brewery.org) Try HBD.org then go to the brewery

Not necessarily Mexican beers, just lighter, fruitier beers like Corona. It's by no means my favourite, but I don't mind a lighter, no bodied beer like this when it's stinking hot!

What I am asking for, (rather than a recipe) is if anyone has any input into the process of brewing a Cerveza style beer from extract. Like any tips on extra ingredients (add fruit during the fermenting?) temps (higher is better than lower) Malt (liquid vs dry and what type ) etc.

If "Use the extract kit and follow the directions" is the answer, then so be it :)

PeteOz77 said:
Not necessarily Mexican beers, just lighter, fruitier beers like Corona. It's by no means my favourite, but I don't mind a lighter, no bodied beer like this when it's stinking hot!

What I am asking for, (rather than a recipe) is if anyone has any input into the process of brewing a Cerveza style beer from extract. Like any tips on extra ingredients (add fruit during the fermenting?) temps (higher is better than lower) Malt (liquid vs dry and what type ) etc.

If "Use the extract kit and follow the directions" is the answer, then so be it :)

Listen to this (http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archive/Jamil12-31-07.mp3) podcast, or just specifically for the info at the ~29 minute mark, for info on making the extract more fermentable by way of a mini-mash with the extract. I don't make the beer style your talking about, or extract beers for that matter, but I imagine if you want a lighter body a lower final gravity/less maltiness/drier would it help. Good luck.

PeteOz77 said:
Gee! Thanks for your input, you have been less than helpful.:(
I'm actually being serious. Some folks have had some good luck getting that Corona taste with an hour or so of sun time in a clear bottle. I don't have time to try to dig the thread up now but I'll take a look later if I get a chance.

PeteOz77 said:

Cervezas like Dos Equis and Negra Modelo (my favorites) are Vienna lagers. Corona is listed as an example of a Standard American lager, so your target beer would be brewed like a lager -- pitch a lager yeast at cool temperatures and ferment <50ºF. Lager fermentation takes longer than ale fermentation, so on my next beer, a Vienna lager, I plan on at least two weeks, probably three, in the primary. Then rack to a secondary and lager <40ºF for four to six weeks before bottling. You'll want use a very light extract and -- if you aren't planning a mini-mash -- some rice syrup to lighten the body. If you are doing a mini-mash with flaked rice or corn, mash low (149º) and long for maximum fermentability.

On other point to note about lagers (not that I'm an expert or anything) is that because the fermentation temperatures are much cooler than for ales you absolutely need a starter for your yeast. I'm planning on a 2L starter, which, according to Jamil Zainasheff's Yeast Pitching Rate Calculator, should be just about right.

You might want to listen to Jamil's November 5, 2007 show on brewing lagers.

Hope this helps,
Chad

Thanks guys, all very good information. I'll listen to both of those podcasts and heed their advice.

Joining this forum is the best $20 I have ever spent! :)

I didn't use a starter in my last lager. It was liquid yeast but what you're supposed to do is start fermentation at room temps and then once it starts, lower to 50-55 at 1 degree an hour

I was advised by LHBS to always use a starter, as it gives the yeast a good head start, but more importantly, it gives you peace of mind that the yeast is definitely going to activate and work.

Chad said:
On other point to note about lagers (not that I'm an expert or anything) is that because the fermentation temperatures are much cooler than for ales you absolutely need a starter for your yeast.

that's what I was responding to.

Obviously you don't need a starter.

brew a light american lager, bottle it in clear bottles and let it sit on the sun for a couple of hours to get hat skunk taste. that's all you need amigo.

PeteOz77 said:
Summer is upon us here in Aus, and I am brewing some things to drink in 6-8 weeks I wish I had longer to let it age, but I am not all that patient, and I will be drinking this type of beer in that time period, so it might as well be mine, even if it is young, it will be better than Corona.

I plan to brew a few of these in the later months of winter next year, so I have aged summer beers in summer, and aged winter beers in winter.

I am using a Cooper's extract, as I am not into Grain brewing yet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best brew one of these type of beer? Or should I just follow the directions on the kit and wait it out?
If you are looking for that funky skunky nose on your beer like Corona and something that won't take a lot of time use one of Cooper's Bavarian Lager kits. It will make the house smell like poo while it is fermenting, but actually turns out to be a nice lager/ale for a canned cold mix kit. I tried a couple of glasses of some that the guys at the lhbs supply made last year and made a batch myself. The OL and my daughter drank it all in 1 week.
AP

what about a light hefe like a SA Summer? I know most of the people in my hometown dig SA over corona as the light beer? I know its not mexican but it would allow you to forego the lagering stage you would need for Dos Equis or Corona..

I have to give a +1 on the hefeweizen for a lighter summer beer. Great and refreshing during hot summer days. A simple American Wheat would do the trick too. Then you won't have to deal with lagering (unless you're capable, I'm not :( ).

shunoshi said:
I have to give a +1 on the hefeweizen for a lighter summer beer. Great and refreshing during hot summer days. A simple American Wheat would do the trick too. Then you won't have to deal with lagering (unless you're capable, I'm not :( ).
I figured you guys up there would only be doing lagers this time of year, being that it's what, 8-10* F.
Its been 65-70 here in SoCal and I have had to keep my fermenting beers in the ice water bath.:mug:
AP

APendejo said:
I figured you guys up there would only be doing lagers this time of year, being that it's what, 8-10* F.
Its been 65-70 here in SoCal and I have had to keep my fermenting beers in the ice water bath.:mug:
AP

Yeah, you won't catch me brewing a hefe in the dead of winter. Only thing I have rolling is a high ABV cyser and this monster 8-8-8 RIS. Once I get myself a modded cooler or fridge for lagering I'll have the schwarzbiers and marzens flowing for sure. :D

And actually, if you account for windchill.....it's -9*F right now. :(

Back