Cereal Mashed Rice and Clear Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daspooper

relaxing, not worrying, and having a homebrew
Reaction score
Hello,

My last brew, a cream ale, called for minute rice, and I opted to cereal mash some rice from home rather than buying that or flaked rice as my LHBS didn't have any. I transferred the beer to my lagering fridge to cold crash, and after a day it looked as clear as if it had been in the fridge for several days and I had used gelatin. I have cold crashed similar beers before, this is my third cream ale, but this is the first time I've used rice. The first was 2 row and flaked maize, and the second was 2 row, flaked maize, and cara pils. In both of those brews, the beer was dropping pretty clear during the cold crash, but there was still some haze about the beer until two or so weeks in the keg.

It makes sense to me that the rice would impart a gummy texture to the wort as the starch gelatinization and gelation processes do exactly that; this would then act like gelatin during the cold crash to help yeast coagulate and fall. I didn't notice any difference during the fermenation; it looked as cloudy as ever while the yeast were riding the currents up and down the carboy. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation, or am I noticing something this time that I usually don't notice? The more I proofread this post, the more I'm wondering if this is just some placebo effect where I'm thinking the rice did something that it hasn't. Wish I would have taken a picture before racking to the keg as it was clear enough for me to see through the carboy after only a day in the fridge.

I BIAB, so I don't use rice hulls, but I don't think those would do what I'm seeing; the rice hulls are added to increase the flow of wort through the grist, not to add fermentables. While the cereal mash surely added fermentables, maybe it also left some of those sticky starches which weren't broken down during the mash and fermentation? My cereal mash consisted of about 2 pounds of 2 row and 1/2 pound of rice which I attempted to crush in my food processor. This was added to 1 gallon of cool water on the stove which I heated to 160 F while stirring; it then rested for 30 minutes before being heated to a boil where it simmered for 30 minutes while stirring. Then I allowed the cereal mash to cool to about 153 F which was my strike temp before adding it to the strike water. Brew day was 12/3 which was the same day the US-05 was pitched into the 6.5 gallon carboy, I moved the fermentor to the fridge on 12/12 at 36 F, on 12/13 the beer was pretty much clear so it was racked into a keg, and it is now in my kegerator at 45 F force carbonating at 35 PSI.

First thing I see is US-05 is an ale yeast. Manufacturer says 59F is the low end. What temperature was your primary fermentation at? In my brewing experiences Cal Ale below 65F takes a little more time to work. 9 days seem to short for the primary depending on the temperature. Did your rehydrate the yeast or just dump it in? I've done Sierra Nevada Clones at 60F and had to give them 14 plus days to finish up. Did you take a gravity reading?

The rice doesn't act like starch in the wort- the whole point of doing the cereal mash and the mash itself is so that the starches convert to fermentable sugars.

I'm not sure what the question or issue is here, though. The beer is cloudy now?

LarMoeCur - I fermented in a closet that stays around 66 F; I pitched the packet straight into the carboy without rehydrating as I did for the other batches. The high krausen started around day 2 and lasted until day 6 or 7. The other two cream ales seemed to finish in a similar amount of time. I didn't take gravity measurements as 1) I'm lazy, 2) I lose a fair amount of beer to the hydrometer jar, and 3) the other cream ales acted just like this. The OG should have been around 1.050; I suppose it is about time to invest in a refractometer. I tasted a bit during the transfer, and it had dried out nicely.

Yooper - There isn't really a problem. The beer is clearer than I am used to at this point. It's wonderful! I am pointing out that I noticed a difference between this batch of cream ale and two similar batches; those other batches having lacked this rice cereal mash. I'd be very interested in knowing if other people had noticed something similar. I know that the point of the cereal mash is to break down those long starch chains into something that can be converted into simple sugars during the mash, but it seems like the rice did something in this batch that caused the beer to drop clear more quickly than the other batches.

I suppose if there isn't anyone else who has noticed this, my goal should be to recreate this effect with better note keeping including taking pictures; I should also try making a cream ale without rice again to see if my observation that it stayed a bit cloudy through a few days of cold crashing are correct. As I noted, maybe this is some placebo where for some reason I'm noticing how clear this beer is after 1 day of cold crashing whereas I didn't notice it in the other two batches. I don't really have the ability to do two batches next to each other like an Xbmt, but I suppose I could do my first double brew day. Oh no, I have to make more beer! What ever will I do? = D

Latest posts

Back