Cereal Killer setting for BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nymtber

Reaction score
What does everyone use for a gap setting on the Cereal killer mill?

I have one on the way, just wanna know the more popular settings.

Now I should seek out a corded drill, probably harbor freight :)

Why do you want the more popular setting? Set yours with a credit card for a gauge, then give it a try. If you can make the grain feed through easily, try tightening it a bit more.

I originally set mine with a credit card, but eventually tightened it down all the way.

I'm running a harbor freight 1/2" drill. Corded, as it seems like every time I need a cordless power tool, the batteries are dead.

Oh, and I'm using a Wilser bag. I'd be afraid to crush that fine and use a paint strainer bag like you get at a home improvement store. I think you'd get way too much trub.

As tight as it goes for mine too and a good thought on a cheap corded drill I've had the battery die on me a couple times right in the middle of grinding.

Sounds like I'll start with credit card (I have some no good pre-paid debit cards I can use) grind a little grain, and go from there. I'll probably hand crank the test batches...but not sure I want to crank through 12lbs of grain! However, I might till I find a reasonable drill/motor to power it :)

Sounds like I'll start with credit card (I have some no good pre-paid debit cards I can use) grind a little grain, and go from there. I'll probably hand crank the test batches...but not sure I want to crank through 12lbs of grain! However, I might till I find a reasonable drill/motor to power it :)

Sure you do want to hand crank those 12 pounds of grain. You need some way to burn off the calories you will get from the beer you make. :D:ban:

After one batch, you'll figure out a way to power it. It was a PITA just doing a few one gallon batches. It'll give your arm a workout.

Yeah, you will need to do a few to find what fits your system.
I have a 10 gallon EBIAB that has a SS basket that only has mesh on the bottom. I have to grind kind of course for it or the wort just will not flow good.
My 20 gallon pot has a basket with holes all around it( was made for crab/ srimp boil) that I line with a mesh bag. I can grind a lot finer with it because it "seeps" in more places.

So brew a few, don't stress when crap don't go right the 1st or 2nd time... it's a hobby.

I don't mind exercise, so I'll see how it goes. Still pretty sure I'll end up with a drill, but I want a high torque corded drill anyway, they are nice to have for bigger holes/harder materials.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! :)

CHEERS!

Picked up a Skil 7Amp 1/2" low speed drill today (0-950rpm) at Lowes today. Got good reviews online, and was only $40. Pretty easy to control speed, and has a forward handle to help control it. Sure, I could get a HF model cheaper, but Skill is a known brand, at least. I do wish the direction control had a middle "lock off" position, but whatever.

But I don't have my mill or ingredients. They were scheduled to arrive today, but...USPS did not drop them off, and they are still "in transit" according to the tracking number. I won't be brewing till next weekend now, not happy about that, but it happens. Hopefully they all show up Monday!

Credit cards are typically .030 in thickness. The thinner, the better. Mine is set at .020 and I use a feeler gauge. Be sure to measure the gap setting on the left, right, and center of the mill rollers. You should expect higher efficiencies with a near flour milling.

Well, it all arrived today. I set it to a 0.029" card, but I set it kind of snug, so closer to 0.025" if I had to guess. I won't brew till at least Sunday, I'll do some test grinds Sat night.

The wooden base on mine was finished poorly, but a little time with my palm sander and sanding block, its fine, especially for the price! But, for the price, at least it HAS a base! Fits over a 5-gal bucket just fine.

I also have a big roll of reflectix on the way to build a jacket for my kettle. Needed to order a birthday present for my soon to be 6 year old niece, so...amazon to the rescue :)

Using wind power is the only TRUE way to mill.

Only way REAL brewer grinds is with a mortar and pestle..

morter.jpeg

I don't mind exercise, so I'll see how it goes. Still pretty sure I'll end up with a drill, but I want a high torque corded drill anyway, they are nice to have for bigger holes/harder materials.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! :)

CHEERS!
I'll tell ya how its going to go...."Let me try this fun thing out milling my own grain like a pilgrim on Thanksgiving".....One hopper later...".F*ck that...where's my drill"

I mill my grain twice. First time through at the top mark (I think it's .05). Second time through, I reset it to a little beyond half way to zero. It gives me just the right crush with a minimum of flour. I use Wilser bags and dunk sparge in a bucket while I'm waiting for the BK to come to a boil.

I hand cranked for a year until I started doing 10 gal batches of stout (plum wears ya out). Then I realized my corded Harbor Freight hammer drill had a "regular" setting. It works great with plenty of torque. I think they run around $39 and less if you use the 20% coupon.

Have fun figuring out what works for your set up. Milling your own malt should definitely improve your efficiency.

Brewed the Fat Tire clone (all-grain) kit I bought today. I used my cereal killer spaced to about .028 (credit card minus a little as it tightens it when tighten the lock screws). I hand cranked a few handfuls just to check the crush, and honestly that was not THAT bad, but I hooked the drill up for the rest.

I ended the day with 82% efficiency! I got 65% with Morebeer's grind. I also made a coozie and lid from reflectix for my kettle, I started mash at 154°F, and ended an hour later.... 152°F!!! It was 45°F outside, maybe 50 in the porch.

I was only 1 point low on OG from what I calculated prior to brew day, I'll accept that! :)

Pretty much my brewday went as planned. I should have started earlier, but I just plan my brewdays as taking most of the day this time of year, when its dark by 4:30-5. I did sneak in a 2.5+ mile walk while the mash was doing its thing. I love beer, but staying in shape comes first!

My cereal killer set with a credit card has worked fine, I'm getting ~70% efficiency and hitting my numbers but now I want to brew larger 7 gal batches at moderately high gravity so I'm going to tighten up the gap to the smallest setting and throw in some rice hulls to help out the recirc. So far hand cranking has been no problem, though for my biggest batch @13 lbs I pulled out the Bosch 18v drill driver. With a tighter gap setting that will probably become necessity.

Back