Centennial/Cascade IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-crowing

Reaction score
Looking for some critique on my IPA recipe. Haven't brewed this one before.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: American Ale
Yeast Starter: Yes (using harvested yeast hopefully)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Est Original Gravity: 1.060
Est Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 54.5
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.2
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 1 week at 65F. Room temp for 2 weeks with 7 day dry hop in final week.

Ingredients:
11 lbs 2-Row
1 lb Munich 10L
8 oz Crystal 75L
8 oz Cara-Pils

1 oz Centennial (10%) 60 min
.5 oz Centennial (10%) 15 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) 15 min
.5oz Centennial (10%) 5 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) 5 min
.5 oz Centennial (10%) 0 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) 0 min
7 day dry hop with 1 oz each Cascade and Centennial
Wyeast 1056 with starter

looks great! i might move the 15 min additions to 10, but it's not that big of a deal. i'd be tempted to fwh with .5 oz of cascade too... again, just personal preference.

Don't know about Centennial in late addition, but Centennial as bittering and Cascade is something gorgeous, my preferred APA
I'd take out the Carapils, it's redundant, unless you have color issues with the Crystal 75L

Don't know about Centennial in late addition, but Centennial as bittering and Cascade is something gorgeous, my preferred APA
I'd take out the Carapils, it's redundant, unless you have color issues with the Crystal 75L

So you're saying centennial at 60 minutes with larger cascade additions at 15, 5, and 0?

So you're saying centennial at 60 minutes with larger cascade additions at 15, 5, and 0?

This would be a great brew. I'd also consider an aroma steep/whirlpool added when you get down to about 180F for 30 minutes or so. I'm never going to brew another hoppy beer without an aroma steep, and I'll probably cut all my flavor additions to large additions at 5 minutes or less.

This would be a great brew. I'd also consider an aroma steep/whirlpool added when you get down to about 180F for 30 minutes or so. I'm never going to brew another hoppy beer without an aroma steep, and I'll probably cut all my flavor additions to large additions at 5 minutes or less.
What is an aroma steep? Adding hops during the wort chilling process? I thought the goal was to cool wort as fast as possible and get the yeast pitched.

Ok, so I think I'm going to do 1oz Centennial at 60 min, 2oz Cascade at 15min and 5min, and 1oz Cascade at 0min with a dry hop of 1oz each Cascade and Centennial.
Also, removed Carapils. This gives me:
Est Original Gravity: 1.058
Est Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 56.6
Color: 8.1

Oh Yes
I tried once Centennial in DH in another recipe, it gave me grassy flavor and none of citric notes. But the reason could have been everything, not necessary Centennial aroma spectrum.

Seems OK. If you leave the 0 boil hops for a large number of minutes before chilling the wort (p.e. 10 to 20 minutes), you'll get a slightly increased number of IBUs, depending on the A.A. value.
BU/GU 0,97 is ok if you like bitter IPAs

Ok, so I think I'm going to do 1oz Centennial at 60 min, 2oz Cascade at 15min and 5min, and 1oz Cascade at 0min with a dry hop of 1oz each Cascade and Centennial.
Also, removed Carapils. This gives me:
Est Original Gravity: 1.058
Est Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 56.6
Color: 8.1

Back