Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed,

Your extremely detailed reply is incredibly helpful and exactly what I was looking for. Very interesting about the flavor profile after the addition of the fruit purée. I was prepared for the increase in ABV and second fermention after the addition of the fruit. Do you have any recommendations for brand of flavor concentrations? I have had one bad experience with a prepackaged kit with a lemon concentrate so I have stayed away from fruit beers which has been very hard and frustrating because they make some absolutely incredible beers!
Hi. Glad you found it useful. I've got three recommendations right off the top of my head. the first is 000Flavors. They have a wide variety of concentrated flavorings. I used them when I made a Creme Brulee and Bananas Fosters dessert beers (I used a Scottish Ale as a base.) I also recommend OliveNation for their extracts (I made a killer Coconut Chocolate Stout using their extracts.) Finally, Apex Flavors (Silver Cloud) also has some great extracts and flavoring.

If you decide to go this route, be sure to heed their mixture recommendations as a little bit goes a very long way (hence my recommendation to try it on a sample before dosing the batch.) As an example, I only put about 10ml flavoring in a 5 gal batch (which is about 0.05%.) Remember, you're not making a fruit drink or cider, you're making beer. Done properly, it'll have a mild fruity nose with a very subtle hint of fruit flavor behind the beer. Hope this helps. Ed

Last edited:
Hi. Glad you found it useful. I've got three recommendations right off the top of my head. the first is 000Flavors. They have a wide variety of concentrated flavorings. I used them when I made a Creme Brulee and Bananas Fosters dessert beers (I used a Scottish Ale as a base.) I also recommend OliveNation for their extracts (I made a killer Coconut Chocolate Stout using their extracts.) Finally, Apex Flavors (Silver Cloud) also has some great extracts and flavoring.

If you decide to go this route, be sure to heed their mixture recommendations as a little bit goes a very long way (hence my recommendation to try it on a sample before dosing the batch.) As an example, I only put about 10ml flavoring in a 5 gal batch (which is about 0.05%.) Remember, you're not making a fruit drink or cider, you're making beer. Done properly, it'll have a mild fruity nose with a very subtle hint of fruit flavor behind the beer. Hope this helps. Ed

I very much appreciate your help with the websites where you have had success. That creme brûlée beer sounds fantastic and I might need to bug you on that recipe one day I’m feeling adventurous. Now the question I have for you is will the extract or flavoring change the color of the beer? I know it’s silly but I strongly believe that presentation of the beer will even in the smallest amount effect the experience of drinking this beer. I’m really really hoping that it won’t turn the blonde ale into a coolaid color but would love to see a more natural reddish purple hue but not the end of the world. Would kegging the beer be any different with the flavoring? How would I mix in the flavoring after its been carbonated? I will be doing like you said where I do a small premeasured amount of flavoring in a cup with a measured amount of beer and gradually increase til I find the right amount that we like. Thank you again for all your help. Honestly it’s been super helpful

Hi. Yes, the Creme Brûlée beer was really good and well received. I’ll be happy to share the recipe. The flavorings & extracts may have a little color, but not enough to change the color of your batch (i.e. it’s not like food coloring.) I also keg, so your question is appropriate. I normally add the flavoring when I’m kegging. Once it’s carbed, and you want/need to tweak the flavor, you can take the keg off the gas, bleed the pressure off, and add what you want. Just keep everything clean and remember not to add too much. I also thought of another benefit to using extracts over fruit. I’ve found my real fruit beers never really clear, whereas the beers with extracts will normally drop brite. Ed

1. Reduce the water volume.

or

2. Increase the malt volume (proportionally).

Use a brewing calculator like www.brewersfriend.com to figure out exact amounts.
I went with 10 pounds of Pilsner and a half pound each of Munich (10L) and Pale Cookie malts.

I also increased the IBUs to around 30-35. Came in right at 6%

Attachments

• Scottish Ale 3.jpg
    Scottish Ale 3.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I just brewed this on Saturday with Nottingham and it is bubbling like crazy. Had to go blow off tube. Is this normal? Checked gravity and right on. Is Nottingham an aggressive yeast. Excited to try this. Will 2 weeks be enough fermenting?

Hi. I can't speak to Falconer's Flight, but I can tell you that I've made two or three version of this beer finishing with Ahtanum, and it makes a truly remarkable, easy drinking beer. Ahtanum is a very mild hop with a floral nose and a slight citrusy taste. It also has a very low AA% (~3.5%,) so don't use it to bitter as it takes a lot. I usually substitute Ahtanum in the last addition (0.5 oz @ 5 minutes.) If you did a credible job brewing the beer whether with BM's original recipe or with Ahtanum, I can pretty much guarantee the BMC drinkers will be more than happy to drink it. It's one of my daughter's favorite beers. Hope this helps. Ed
Thanks for the suggestion, Ed.

So you substitute the ahtanum for the cascade?

I have some huel melon that I tried in a test batch of kolsch.
it was drinkable but I don't think it was the right base.
I've made 25 gallons of this.
going to try it with huel melon next.

I just brewed this on Saturday with Nottingham and it is bubbling like crazy. Had to go blow off tube. Is this normal? Checked gravity and right on. Is Nottingham an aggressive yeast. Excited to try this. Will 2 weeks be enough fermenting?
At 2 weeks, it should be ready for the tap.

I brewed this on Saturday. Fermentation is complete after 5 days. Any issues with going straight to a keg at this point? Seems quick.

Hi.
I’d let it sit for a few more days to let the yeast clean up. I suspect if you keg this too early, you’ll wind up with a pretty “green” beer that may or may not age out correctly. Are you in a hurry? Ed

Hi.
I’d let it sit for a few more days to let the yeast clean up. I suspect if you keg this too early, you’ll wind up with a pretty “green” beer that may or may not age out correctly. Are you in a hurry? Ed
No hurry but I had it in a large conical with about 7 gallons of head space. Went ahead and racked it into a keg. Did not put it in the chiller or hook it up to gas lines yet. Should I rack it into a carboy and let it age for a week or so?

No, I wouldn’t. It’s already moved into a keg, so why risk racking again? We’re it me, I’d go ahead and put it on gas at about 12psi and let it rest at 40*F for a week or so (kind of like a mini lagering.) At 12psi, it’ll slowly carbonate and let the beer smooth out. My problem was having the patience to leave it alone once it started getting carbed. I’m sure it’ll be fine. Ed

Ed,
Your extremely detailed reply is incredibly helpful and exactly what I was looking for. Very interesting about the flavor profile after the addition of the fruit purée. I was prepared for the increase in ABV and second fermention after the addition of the fruit. Do you have any recommendations for brand of flavor concentrations? I have had one bad experience with a prepackaged kit with a lemon concentrate so I have stayed away from fruit beers which has been very hard and frustrating because they make some absolutely incredible beers!
I have used both Mango and Jalapeno from Silver Cloud Estates, in a centenial blond base recipe, and in IPAs.
https://www.apexflavors.com/Beverag...lavor-flavoring-natural-beer-wine-spirits~871
https://www.apexflavors.com/Beverag...lapeno-extract-flavor-flavoring-beer-wine~915

I was quite happy with the results.

Use the Search, and look for the "TTB" flavors targeted at beer/spirits.

The jars they come in are also the right size to fit an eyedropper screw-top lid for easy taste/testing or flavoring at serving time.

Last edited:
I was planning on brewing this today. I found I only have my 5 gallon BMB available. Will this work with Nottingham or should I wait and use the 6.5 that in a few days? Never used this yeast before.
Hi. Notty is a pretty aggressive yeast that can really build some Krausen, so if you don't have enough headspace, you should definitely be using a blow off tube. Personally, I'd wait until the 6.5 gal fermenter became available. Hope this helps. Ed

Just bottled it after 4 weeks, was cloudy first few weeks and at three weeks it was like a switch and dropped clear. It is a mild beer and will be good for BIL but next time I think increase the 20 min hop to .5 and maybe Vienna to .75 pound. Crap I am starting to like more hop flavor.
IMG_20190604_152504938.jpg

Just bottled it after 4 weeks, was cloudy first few weeks and at three weeks it was like a switch and dropped clear. It is a mild beer and will be good for BIL but next time I think increase the 20 min hop to .5 and maybe Vienna to .75 pound. Crap I am starting to like more hop flavor. View attachment 629786
Hi. Nice looking beer! Sometimes, a cold and mild beer is just the ticket on a hot summer afternoon. You can really crush this without getting too wasted or your tongue coated by too hoppy a beer. Ed

I just brewed a 5.5G batch this past Sunday. My first attempt at this, I hadn't figured out how to cool my wort properly, so it oxidized and needed a lime to taste like anything other than a__. I still drank it though. My sister's thoughts on it, "Hey, you made Corona." I_was_not_flattered.

This time, it smells amazing and I am looking at checking FG on Friday, hopefully bottling.

I have modified the original slightly. This is for a 6.75 Boil (4 Mash, 3 Sparge), 5.5 into fermenter
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 4.93%
IBU (tinseth): 26.9
SRM (morey): 5.27

Fermentables
7 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale
0.75 lb American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt)
0.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 10L
0.5 lb German - Vienna

Hops
0.25 oz Centennial Pellet 8.7 Boil 60 min
0.25 oz Cascade Pellet 6.8 Boil 60 min
0.25 oz Centennial Pellet 8.7 Boil 15 min
0.25 oz Cascade Pellet 6.8 Boil 15 min
0.5 oz Cascade Pellet 6.8 Whirlpool at 190 °F

I use a house yeast culture that I have been nurturing.

Not sure where the count is, or if that is still a thing, but I am adding 5 + 5.5 = 10.5G

Only one week in the bottle and then in the fridge for a day. Gotta say I like this a lot and understand why many use it as a house ale. Will be interesting to see what it is like at two weeks and then a few days in the fridge. Thank you Biermuncher it was the perfect recipe for my first all grain brew.
IMG_20190612_185854984_HDR.jpg

This was a fantastic recipe. I took it to our brew club meeting and my corny keg nearly drained. I put 2 oz of strawberry extract in the other keg and it was emptied at a fundraiser. Thanks

Thanks for the recipe. Brewed a 5 gallon batch last Sunday. OG came out to 1.039. Haven't decided if I'll dry hop or not but I'll probably make that call after sampling the FG. This is only the second beer I've brewed so far but really enjoying the hobby.

Thanks for the recipe. Brewed a 5 gallon batch last Sunday. OG came out to 1.039. Haven't decided if I'll dry hop or not but I'll probably make that call after sampling the FG. This is only the second beer I've brewed so far but really enjoying the hobby.

Hi RoguePixels, and welcome to HBT! This "hobby" can soon turn into an obsession as there are so many things to learn, and it's mostly all fun. You chose a great beer for your second brew, and I definitely recommend waiting to taste it before dry hopping. This is a great summer beer and has almost universal appeal to craft and BMC drinkers alike. Once you know what the beer should taste like, then you have a good starting point to explore different options. My only recommendation for tweaking the recipe is to not make too many changes at once since you may lose track of what does what. In any event, welcome again. Ed

Hi RoguePixels, and welcome to HBT! This "hobby" can soon turn into an obsession as there are so many things to learn, and it's mostly all fun. You chose a great beer for your second brew, and I definitely recommend waiting to taste it before dry hopping. This is a great summer beer and has almost universal appeal to craft and BMC drinkers alike. Once you know what the beer should taste like, then you have a good starting point to explore different options. My only recommendation for tweaking the recipe is to not make too many changes at once since you may lose track of what does what. In any event, welcome again. Ed

Thanks for the advice! I ran into a small hiccup with fermentation stuck at 1.014 and no movement for a few days. I was hoping for a dryer finish so I gave the fermentor a light rock back and forth and bumped my temp from 64F to 68F. The next morning it was bubbling away again so I'm feeling very optimistic.
:mug:

Finished at 1.011FG. I ended up dry hoping with .5oz cascade for a few days and cold crashing with gelatin. This is my first attempt with gelatin but it seems to have cleared it up quiet a bit. Carbed it at 30psi for 36 hours then down to serving around 12psi for a day. We had a chance to sample it last night. I get light banana esters while my wife gets more rose. Overall really happy with how this turned out. Seems like the perfect beer for a hot day working out in the yard. Thanks again for the recipe!

Thinking 11 gallon batch, ferment half w Mangrove Jacks M42, "new world strong ale yeast" half w wlp530 with a lb of sugar for a Belgian blond.
Only used the M42 once in the stout kit it came in. A blonde ale would let me actually taste the yeast profile more.

I brewed this recently using same quantities but subbed with:

Gladfield Pilsner malt
Gladfield Gladiator malt
Gladfield Light crystal
Glad field Vienna malt
Taiheke 7%AA for all the hop additions

All the numbers came in on point. I bottle and the carbonation was a bit low after 2 weeks but good after 3. To be honest I found it a bit watery in flavour and wished I had upped everything. But now after about 5 or 6 weeks storing it in my shed (in the winter so 0*C-10*C) the flavour has become much more rounded and pronounced. It`s uncanny how like a lager this is.
It`s definitely a quaffing beer, nothing complex about it but nice to have in the cupboard. My Dad drinks Heineken so he thought this was like a better version of a Heineken, haha. After tasting this after maturation, I`m thinking I will definitely brew this again but I will probably up the hop character just a touch so it`s more at the Pilsner level than the Helles level which it`s currently at. Might get the ABV up to 4.5%, too.
Thanks for the great recipe!

Attachments

• IMG_5448.JPG
    IMG_5448.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 138
Back