Celia in a Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewNYC

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Celia in a lager recipe? Im putting together a Vienna lager soon. The go-to is Hallertau for Vienna’s, but I’m thinking of branching out.

Im going for a fairly crisp, a touch bready, no fruitiness in any way whatsoever, and epic boatloads of flowers. Celia is the most “flowery” hop I’ve ever used, but I’ve only used it in Belgians, so any subtle flavors get overwhelmed by the yeast. Has anybody tried it in a lager?

Has anyone tried Celia in a lager recipe? Im putting together a Vienna lager soon. The go-to is Hallertau for Vienna’s, but I’m thinking of branching out.

Im going for a fairly crisp, a touch bready, no fruitiness in any way whatsoever, and epic boatloads of flowers. Celia is the most “flowery” hop I’ve ever used, but I’ve only used it in Belgians, so any subtle flavors get overwhelmed by the yeast. Has anybody tried it in a lager?

Last summer I brewed a split batch SMaSH Celeia Vienna with IREKS Vienna malt and whole cone Celeia hops. I had planned to do this with WLP 830 for a Vienna lager and Wyeast 1469 for a bitter but I waited to long to repitch the 1469 and it didn’t take off so I pivoted to some harvested Allagash White yeast for a Belgian pale. I still have some of the pale ale as I didn’t love it but the Vienna lager was a big hit and those 3 gallons kicked way too quickly. I am planning on rebrewing that one soon.

Back