CBC-1 yeast... Anyone using?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfgrass

Reaction score
For some reason, I want to try this yeast to naturally carb a saison in a keg and to try out a spunding valve. Any thoughts?

I've used it once on an imperial stout (probably not necessary at 9%). Unless there's not much viable yeast left in your saison, it's probably not necessary.

Use it all the time to do exactly what you’re doing. Max you needs is 2g/5 gallon. If the Saison has t been aging long 1g would be sufficient. I always rehydrate it.

I use it for bottle conditioning my big barrel aged beers, and 34/70 for the ones under 8%. The 34/70 carbs up at cellar temps so I can just put them on the shelf, also very compact ,and you can get all the beer out if poured slowly.

Use it all the time to do exactly what you’re doing. Max you needs is 2g/5 gallon. If the Saison has t been aging long 1g would be sufficient. I always rehydrate it.

I use it for bottle conditioning my big barrel aged beers, and 34/70 for the ones under 8%. The 34/70 carbs up at cellar temps so I can just put them on the shelf, also very compact ,and you can get all the beer out if poured slowly.

My saison has been in a primary carboy for about 2.5 weeks now. I rarelly see a bubble float out from the blow off and into the starsan bucket. 2g/5 gallons is easy enough. Do you mix the yeast with any priming sugar and do you use a spunding valve at a specific psi? my basement temps fluctuate between 70-73*F depending on the week. Thank you.

I just dump the rehydrated yeast and sugar into the keg, close it up, hit it with 15-20 PSI to seal the lid and leave it. You don’t need a spunding valve if you get the sugar addition right. If you want to be anal about O2 ingress you can hook gas up to the gas post, unscrew the PRV and use a funnel to pour the yeast and sugar through the PRV port then purge head space a few times.

Saison I my opinion should always be carbonated to at least 3.0 vol if not higher. Just make sure you have longer lines to accommodate for increased pressure.

I just dump the rehydrated yeast and sugar into the keg, close it up, hit it with 15-20 PSI to seal the lid and leave it. You don’t need a spunding valve if you get the sugar addition right. If you want to be anal about O2 ingress you can hook gas up to the gas post, unscrew the PRV and use a funnel to pour the yeast and sugar through the PRV port then purge head space a few times.

Saison I my opinion should always be carbonated to at least 3.0 vol if not higher. Just make sure you have longer lines to accommodate for increased pressure.

What would your corn sugar recommendation be? I have just under 5 gallons in my carboy. Prob 4.5 after transfer to keg. Suggested 2g yeast per 5 gal. Basement temp 71*F. Much appreciated.

0692ADD3-DF6A-4FCF-8DAA-9B3C325C2E4A.png
Use the Brewers Friend priming calculator...

Brewersfriend.com
Good idea.

Sorry, but i’m new at this and I don’t know what 34/70 means. Please explain. Thx

I have the saison split into two 2.5 gallon corney kegs and the psi is on the rise from the CBC-1 yeast and corn sugar addition. I have the spunding set at around 15 psi and burp it a little if it climbs above, so no problem when I’m not around. Any idea how long before drinking? Also I’m any good articles on beer line length. Im new to kegging and a proper pour. Thx

I have the saison split into two 2.5 gallon corney kegs and the psi is on the rise from the CBC-1 yeast and corn sugar addition. I have the spunding set at around 15 psi and burp it a little if it climbs above, so no problem when I’m not around. Any idea how long before drinking? Also I’m any good articles on beer line length. Im new to kegging and a proper pour. Thx

Why 15 PSI? At room temp you need it to get to 28 PSI to be carbonated.

I use it with good success on my 1+ yr sours. One thing to keep in mind, though: a good hydration is likely necessary. Last time i used it i got lazy and just weighed & dumped the yeast in with the priming solution, then into the bottling bucket - without hydration. When i was done bottling, i noticed the yeast cells in the remnants of the bucket, and suspect not much of it actually made it into the bottles. The yeast essentially didn't go into solution, and ultimately the beer didn't carb as quickly as i think it could have (the brett is probably doing the job now).

Yeah, I followed the hydration instructions and then dumped in the keg with the priming sugar. The calculator tool I used didn’t mention psi. Guess I must have released some of that natural co2. Sucks that my co2 gauge at the tank and the 2 spunding gauges read different psi. Prob should check for leaks. If held at 28 psi how do I know or long until fully carbonated?

The 34/70 is a dry lager yeast that has a wide temp range,and clears well. I just finished carbing 2 beers in my 48* kegerator at 30 psi for 2 days, then I leave the pressure in the keg and set gauge to 12 psi serving pressure, and in a few days it's perfect.

Latest posts

Back