Cause of smoky phenolic flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjr721

Reaction score
Two out of four of the beers I entered in the Indiana brewers cup were claimed to have had phenolic flavors. I didn't really notice myself. The beers were an IPA and amber ale. I was wondering what causes this off flavor. I and others thought the beers were great.

There are a couple of things that cause phenolic flavors. One is stressed yeast. That can be from underpitching the yeast, or fermenting at a too-high or too-low temperature. Another cause can be infection, particularly if it's a "smoky phenolic" like your title says. The most common cause I've seen is in beers that use water that has chlorine or chloramine in the water supply. When that happens, chlorophenols are formed. This tastes medicinal, solventy, or "band-aid" flavored.

That being the case, I would have to say temperature. 74 is probably too high. The beer was good, just got dinged by the judges. I'm gonna make it the same and watch temps and then enter it in a competition in Dayton in September Thanks for response.

Back