Caught some bugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rys06Tbss

Reaction score
I attempted to catch something wild about 3 weeks ago. Made a starter Nd threw it in a mason jar. Left it outside for about 4 hours and a few days later I had co2 rafts. I'm right next to a corn field which has been knocked down for a bit. Well were 3 weeks in now and I have about a 1/4 in of yeast built up in a 1500 ml starter. It smelled fairly barnyard like but now it's got a bit of sour to it. Maybe citrus sour. With that being said, what should I make with this. I was hopping to make a beer with just my cascade grown this year. Think I want to use this yeast. Any suggestions for a good farm house ale recipe?

A saison is a good choice for wild yeast. I caught some last spring and have used it several times, and it makes a great saison.

I just use about 7 lbs pils, 2 lbs munich and 1lb wheat, some sugar if you want to dry it out ( depends how your yead attenuates) Hop it to a BU:GU ratio about .5 and you are good.

That's what I was thinking of making. I'm going to make a 10 gallon batch, pitch half of the starter in 4 gallons and use a different yeast for the 6 gallons

So I ended up going with 20 lbs of belgium pale malt 2 lbs of crystal 20 and 5 oz total of French strisselspalt. 4 oz at 60 and 1 at 10. His is a ten gallon batch. Going to pitch half my starter on 4 gallons and 3711 on the rest

This stuff is off to a fairly rapid start less the 12 hours later and I have a fair amount of activity

This stuff is off to a fairly rapid start less the 12 hours later and I have a fair amount of activity

The wild yeast I caught took off pretty fast too. It attenuated a lot too. It took a 1.063 brew down to 1.002.

Keep us posted on how this turn out. It is pretty cool to capture some wild yeast and make a brew using it.

I was taking samples today and the taste is pretty damn good. It's really malty but it's less the a week old.

Well 2 weeks old now. Still pretty malty. Dropped down to 1.015. I'm going to let it ride out a bit longer. It tastes ok, but the 3711 version is much better.

Back