Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, Bombays are great snugglers :)

I also thought about stuff like that. I think if I am going to adopt a cat in the future, I will ask the shelter guys to give me the meanest one they got, because nobody would want such a cat.

I had mean kittys before, after half a year of treating them decently they all turned into very happy little beings :)

About 10 years ago in late winter, I took the cat no one wanted.
At first, I didn't want her. She was a noisy, active kitten a couple months old straining in her cage to get out. The shelter told me she had worms, an eye infection, and a cold. Then they told me they were going to euthanize her, and that got my attention.
She went home with me that same day. Awesome little cat she was, and an energetic hunter. She would sleep on me during the cold months.
When she passed on we had her cremated, not wanting to bury her outside in the cold where she originally came from ... So now there's a little wooden box that stays inside with me where it's warm.

Hops and Fuggles: Fuggles(in basket) was the sweetest and most affectionate cat we've ever had.Unfortunately she disappeared a couple of years ago, probably coyote or fox food.
And my old boy Cornflakes, who died in June from lung cancer at the age of 16. He would sit with me for hours while I brewed, never nagging or offering unwanted advice, just kind of sitting on the floor observing.

vacation 09 002.jpg

assorted winter-spring 2009 043.jpg

assorted winter-spring 2009 027.jpg

Whole heartedly agree. We’re biased and only adopt black cats. They are least likely to be adopted and prone to superstitious violence so I don’t mind being a bit prejudiced.

We got our black cat on “sale” from the adoption center since it was October, about four years ago. We got him cuz he was s snuggle monster not because he was on sale but introduce him as my clearance cat all the time.

He’s a talkative attention seeking SOB that loves to chase our 12 pound dog for fun and he loves people. All people, especially new people. Hard to believe someone would be scared of such a friendly cat because they’re “bad luck”.

I’ve posted him before but here’s another. Hard to get a picture of the face of s black cat.

View attachment IMG_1786.jpg

Typical! If there's an empty cardboard box at my house, one or both of my cats will at least try to get in it, sometimes at the same time!

Since we're so close to Halloween, here are some of my black girl kitties who have passed on, but are far from forgotten!

Miss Kitty, who lived to 15; Lucky, who lived to 22, and was so named because she survived a trip through the fanbelt of my truck when she was a very small kitten; and her littermate, ToTo, so named because she (and Lucky too) was polydactyl. She made it to 16.

View attachment kitty2.bmp

lucky on chairpad.jpg

totocutie.jpg

I don't StarSan the kitties ... But I do StarSan their water bowl. It keeps the slimy texture out and keeps the bowl clean. A couple spritzes and a rinse or two keeps it clean for a few days at a time.

I love this thread. I lost my Starla in June and we’re still not quite ready to get a new kitty. But looking at all these cat pics makes me happy. Thanks to you all!!!

I Love it!! I've had a couple of Torties in my life....and yes they came with Tortietude!! Good way to describe it.

Beautiful cats, I especially like the facial markings of the gray one.
It's been many years since we had cats that liked each other, ours for the past 10 years have greeted each other with a hiss and a front paw swipe.

Yes, it can be really tough trying to make kittys that did not grew up together like each other. My father's two cats ended up splitting the Appartement into two territories... And he is very good with cats but if they do not want to, then you have no chance.

My two littermates, ToTo and Lucky, were never what you'd call "friends" - they TOLERATED each other, sometimes barely, but did not snuggle or otherwise engage each other, with rare exception. So even getting ones that grew up together to be best friends is a crapshoot!

I just moved to Vegas and she came with the move, my Nala/Lucy kitty, aka Adventure/BrewKitty! I was able to save her, she loves her new home and routines, couldn't ask for a better friend. She does have a little tortietude though!

We're about to experience a move with our two - curious how far you had to move and what you found worked well for your Nala kitty for travel? We're looking at about 12 hours drive time....

It was only a 4 hour drive, but she was given little treats throughout the way, kept in her little crate because I was solo captain, other than that easy music, Hall and Oates hit the spot for Nala!
Was not happy at first but as I just sat there and made pointless convo for 4 hours, her trip got easier.

Yes, it can be really tough trying to make kittys that did not grew up together like each other. My father's two cats ended up splitting the Appartement into two territories... And he is very good with cats but if they do not want to, then you have no chance.
Hops and Fuggles were sisters we rescued from the pound, they hated each other's guts. I often wondered if Hops didn't arrange for a coyote to eat Fuggles.
All of our cats have either been rescued by us(Cornflake was on the HS cafeteria roof having rocks thrown at him when my daughter got him down) or adopted us. Our neighbor was a preacher who asked his congregation to drop unwanted cats at his house to keep mice down in his horse stables. Since he didn't take care of them many of them migrated to our house knowing some soft hearted and soft brained human would take them in.

Home made cat toys.

100 green feathers-$7 Amazon

Fishing line swivels 20 for $2

40 feet string $2

Heat shrink left over from my electric brewery build - $0

Cats chasing it all over the house- Priceless!!

With the feathers arranged like this the swivel allows them....well to swivel.

Side project for today. My girls a laser fanatic, I don't even have to turn it on all I have to do is pick it up and she loses it!
These stashed around the house sound like fun as well.

My boys beat the stuffing out of each other at least once a week. Usually just a few scratches or some hair loss. but it’s been as bad as a scratched eye and a torn ear. And then the next day they will be grooming each other at the screen door in the sun

Go figure

These are the feathers. Green seems to be the bomb with my cats!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E3M7S6O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
The swivels are size #3. I found the poly woven string in the fishing isle at WalMart when picking out swivels. I'd post a picture of the cord, but i seem to be catted at the moment after an extended green feather play time. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the feathers. Green seems to be the bomb with my cats!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E3M7S6O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
The swivels are size #3. I found the poly woven string in the fishing isle at WalMart when picking out swivels. I'd post a picture of the cord, but i seem to be catted at the moment after an extended green feather play time. :D

Ah, held down by a cat? Yup, that seems to happen around here frequently! "Honey, I'd love to make you a sandwich, but I can't right now - I'm being held down by a CAT!" :D

Last edited by a moderator:
We're about to experience a move with our two - curious how far you had to move and what you found worked well for your Nala kitty for travel? We're looking at about 12 hours drive time....

My two like each other - curl up often - but like their own space sometimes too. We moved DC to Atlanta last year. Gave them separate carriers, packed them in the back of the SUV with some comfort towels and food/water. No drugs. Checked on them at rest stops. They were NOT happy, but they were fine. Made sure litter box was the first thing we unpacked. They forgave us after a week or so. Part of that was they’d been at a kitty resort the last few days while we packed up the house - they’re indoor cats and we didn’t want them getting stepped on or ducking out of the house. They’re fully armed, just indoors girls.

Back