Quantcast

Catastrophe/ you’re allowed to laugh lol

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OP
Dgallo

Dgallo

If you ain’t first, you’re last Ricky Bobby
Reaction score
Since my wife is getting close to her due date, I decided I was going to brew two beers to be ready for nationals. I had my timing down perfect actually.

I just hit 60 on mashing a schwarzbier and had 5 minutes from knockout on a NZ Pilsner.I typically use my driveway wall to set my mashtun on to drain it but since it was raining, I decided to use a bench in the garage. I put the mashtun on it turned around to throw in my last hop addition in the Pilsner and.... crash. looks like I will not be entering the schwarzbier. Unfortunately it fell directly on the valve and crack the tun but it doesn’t go through the internal wall so I’m hoping it will still seal.

Definitely sucks but my son nor my self were hurt.

Last edited:

Dland

Reaction score
As they say, "I'm sorry for your loss" , but hey, most of us who brew a lot have had some kind of major catastrophy or another. At least you still have the lager eh?

BrewMan13

Whole Nother Level Brewing
Reaction score
Damn, and a beer ear-marked for competition as well - sorry to hear about that!

OP
Dgallo

Dgallo

Reaction score
Dgallo - we want details! HOW?
5 posts up
Since my wife is getting close to her due date, I decided I was going to brew two beers to be ready for nationals. I had my timing down perfect actually.

I just hit 60 on mashing a schwarzbier and had 5 minutes from knockout on a NZ Pilsner.I typically use my driveway wall to set my mashtun on to drain it but since it was raining, I decided to use a bench in the garage. I put the mashtun on it turned around to throw in my last hop addition in the Pilsner and.... crash. looks like I will not be entering the schwarzbier. Unfortunately it fell directly on the valve and crack the tun but it doesn’t go through the internal wall so I’m hoping it will still seal.

Definitely sucks but my son nor my self were hurt.

OP
Dgallo

Dgallo

Reaction score
Damn, and a beer ear-marked for competition as well - sorry to hear about that!
Maybe it’s a sign from the beer gods that it shouldn’t be entered lol

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@Dgallo ,Sounds like my English Porter i was going to submit . Didn't have my hops set out and was frantically looking for them . I grabbed em out of the freezer dropped 1 oz then realized they were the wrong hops :eek: ended up with Azacca instead of EKG.

bkboiler

Reaction score
to make a German pun that doesn't just mash tun
Das weh tun!

I'm almost done with my build out and finally ready to brew 1st batch on new system. I live in abject fear /excitement expecting at least 5 things to go wrong on first brew. Hoping not this bad! Sorry for your loss!

OP
Dgallo

Dgallo

Reaction score
If there is a nationals this year, and you remember, post up (I won’t remember) - maybe a meet up for some beers

not that one...
Looks like it’s on for sure. Huge changes this year respectively but at least it’s on