Catalyst Fermentor Kickstarter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha wish I'd gone through you instead of the kickstarter! I paid well over $300 after customs and shipping/ currency exchange. Although I could definitely see wanting another in the near future.

It doesn't look like they have a 6 gallon version OR a trub dump. They have a sample/transfer valve. No way to dump trub. Am I looking at the wrong thing?

He was talking about this:
https://www.brewdemon.com/basic-dump-system.html

I have a pair of the three gallon brewdemons, and the quality is nowhere near that of the Catalyst. Much cheaper, yes, but you get what you pay for.

I think they need to get their price in the $200 range. At $395 you can get a SS brew tech chronicle at $130 you get a brew demon. At $50 you can get a bubbler. My bad i meant 150

I think they need to get their price in the $200 range. At $395 you can get a SS brew tech chronicle at $130 you get a brew demon. At $50 you can get a bubbler.

If you're talking about the catalyst, it is $200 or less. If you aren't talking about the catalyst, what are you talking about?

I'd like to see it at $50ish. Even then I would probably stick with $30ish PET bottles. I have at least 5 of them and a couple of buckets.....

Lol. You're comparing apples and oranges, so doesn't really make sense to compare price points.

Question for any other Catalyst owners who have dry hopped -

Did you get hop residue accumulating where the conical section meets the valve assembly?

I've only thrown the hops in a few hours ago, but I'm concerned the remaining residue won't slide through the valve and into the mason jar.

Really don't want to have to waste the first few beers due to the residue upon bottling.

Question for any other Catalyst owners who have dry hopped -

Did you get hop residue accumulating where the conical section meets the valve assembly?

I've only thrown the hops in a few hours ago, but I'm concerned the remaining residue won't slide through the valve and into the mason jar.

Really don't want to have to waste the first few beers due to the residue upon bottling.

I dry hopped yesterday morning. Also curious to see what will settle. Anyone else further in the process that can report?

no sample port

This makes only slightly more sense than your last post about price points... The catalyst does not have a separate sample port, if that's what you are asking.

It was on kickstarter for like $165. Now that I've seen it in action I'm considering picking up another at full price.

Nice! I hope they do incredibly well and sell them by the thousands. I like the product just not the price point. Enjoy them!

I dry hopped yesterday morning. Also curious to see what will settle. Anyone else further in the process that can report?

This makes only slightly more sense than your last post about price points... The catalyst does not have a separate sample port, if that's what you are asking.

this is confusing to you? a sample port is on every conical i am aware of and is a major feature.

I was more confused by the random statement. It wasn't even a sentence. Just a seemingly unrelated blurb.

"no sample port"

Ok? That's correct, so what? Brew demon has a sample port but not a yeast and trub dump (which I find more valuable, but to each their own), and fast ferment is a conical that also only has a trub/yeast dump and no sample valve.

I think they need to get their price in the $200 range. At $395 you can get a SS brew tech chronicle at $130 you get a brew demon. At $50 you can get a bubbler. My bad i meant 150

Would still like to know what you meant here?

Brew Demon has a trub/yeast dump available its $15. Also you may not be aware but Fast Ferment had major push back and now it has a sample port.

Pretty clear I think a plastic conical is not worth $200. If I want one I can get the Brew demon for $125 with a sample port and a yeast dump or buy a fast ferment for $99 but thats just my opinion. You are acting like you have some affiliation with catalyst are you perhaps an affiliate?

Nice video! A little confused though, how do you lower the temperature in the chamber?

Can you show pictures with the catalyst IN the chamber?
Lastly can you post the dimensions of the panels we would need to make this? I know they're in the video, but would be easier to have them in front of me.

Thanks!

Sorry, just now seeing this. I am using large 2 liter ice bottles to keep it cold. If I want it super cold, I add more bottles and vice Vera for warmer desired temps.

O offense but I've discovered (the hard way) that these crowd funded projects ultimately result in disappointment. Either in actually delivering the product anywhere near the projected (promised) date or in actually functioning as promised, etc.
My advice is to keep your money in your pocket until or if it reaches the market and then evaluate true user experiences.
You'll probably be able to get it on Amazon long before the original backers at a good price, too.
A perfect example is the uKeg on Kickstarter!

Without derailing the thread let me point out that some Ukeg backers have received their reward:
ukeg_zpsrcocoxja.jpg

Nice video! A little confused though, how do you lower the temperature in the chamber?

Can you show pictures with the catalyst IN the chamber?
Lastly can you post the dimensions of the panels we would need to make this? I know they're in the video, but would be easier to have them in front of me.

Thanks!

Sorry, just saw this. Yes, the walls are as follows
2 - 16" w x 32" h
2 - 19" w x 32" h
1 - 16" w x 19" L - top piece

Also, I use frozen 2 liter bottles to keep things cool.

Brew Demon has a trub/yeast dump available its $15. Also you may not be aware but Fast Ferment had major push back and now it has a sample port.

Pretty clear I think a plastic conical is not worth $200. If I want one I can get the Brew demon for $125 with a sample port and a yeast dump or buy a fast ferment for $99 but thats just my opinion. You are acting like you have some affiliation with catalyst are you perhaps an affiliate?

Fast ferment with comparable accessories (extra trub ball, and stand) is only like $10-20 cheaper than the catalyst.

I WISH I was affiliated! Kind of love the product and would be great to get a few more at cost!

I don't know how many of you have seen the couple of vids I've posted so far but I have one coming up of me fermenting with it and I'll tell you right now that this thing is working very well so far.

I don't know how many of you have seen the couple of vids I've posted so far but I have one coming up of me fermenting with it and I'll tell you right now that this thing is working very well so far.

Only saw the first one with the temperature chamber build. I'd love to see more. How is the temp chamber working for you? Where do you put the 2 liters that you have filled with ice? Underneath the catalyst? I keep a mason jar attached pretty much always, so not sure I could fit a two liter under there. Do you not keep a mason jar attached to the trub trap?

Just updating on the dry hop situation -

A lot more of the hop residue has settled in the mason jar, but still some clinging to the conical section just above the valve.

Gentle taps on this section don't seem to loosen it. I've just put the Catalyst in a fridge to Cold Crash. Hopefully this gets the remaining residue off into the mason jar.

Only saw the first one with the temperature chamber build. I'd love to see more. How is the temp chamber working for you? Where do you put the 2 liters that you have filled with ice? Underneath the catalyst? I keep a mason jar attached pretty much always, so not sure I could fit a two liter under there. Do you not keep a mason jar attached to the trub trap?

Actually, you can fit four - two liter bottles inside the stand under the conical. fits perfect! I just posted a filling video as well and will have another one covering the fermentation process with it. Mason jar is attached as well. The cooling box I built is working very well to keep it cool. Cheers!

Just updating on the dry hop situation -

A lot more of the hop residue has settled in the mason jar, but still some clinging to the conical section just above the valve.

Gentle taps on this section don't seem to loosen it. I've just put the Catalyst in a fridge to Cold Crash. Hopefully this gets the remaining residue off into the mason jar.

Could you not just crank the valve open and shut a couple times to help loosen up that area? As long as the mason jar is still attached that would probably do more than to just tap on the area?

I think when/if you move it to a higher location to bottle it might get shaken off. If not, would probably come out in the first pint.

Could you not just crank the valve open and shut a couple times to help loosen up that area? As long as the mason jar is still attached that would probably do more than to just tap on the area?

I didn't try this, but it's a good idea.

I think when/if you move it to a higher location to bottle it might get shaken off. If not, would probably come out in the first pint.

Cold crashing worked really well. Almost all sediment was confined to the mason jar.

Bottled it up last night, now just the waiting a fortnight to really try the product.

As a side note, I tasted the last little bit (wasn't enough to fill another bottle). It tasted fine but not as amazing as the smell I was getting when filling bottles.

I'm sure (hoping) that the flavours will evolve in a few weeks, but thought I'd mention it.

This to me highlights the issue you need to collect the wort above the base of the conical so you dont get trub or yeast in your keg or bottle. Simple fix and I bet a port a couple of inches above the base will be incorporated in the next generation.

Heard today brew demon is upgrading their fermenter all this competition will be good for homebrewers IMO. Better products at better prices. Someone needs to do a comparison brew demon vs fast ferment vs catalyst

Heard today brew demon is upgrading their fermenter all this competition will be good for homebrewers IMO. Better products at better prices. Someone needs to do a comparison brew demon vs fast ferment vs catalyst

THAT we can certainly agree upon!

This to me highlights the issue you need to collect the wort above the base of the conical so you dont get trub or yeast in your keg or bottle. Simple fix and I bet a port a couple of inches above the base will be incorporated in the next generation.

Not sure what you mean by this? The mason jar is meant to collect all trub and yeast so that you don't have to worry about this. It was stupid easy to unscrew the yeast mason jar and just screw on the bottling attachment.

Not sure what you mean by this? The mason jar is meant to collect all trub and yeast so that you don't have to worry about this. It was stupid easy to unscrew the yeast mason jar and just screw on the bottling attachment.

is that what you do to take a sample as well to check gravity? Seems simple enough I guess

Because yeast and trub can get caught up on the walls of the conical near the base every conical on the market has a sample port. The valve on the bottom is used to dump yeast and trub. Conicals also typically have a 60 degree slant to the base this leaves room for all the crud to settle. The catalyst has far less slant so it looks like crud could easily settle above the mason jar. It may be different due to the butterfly valve and as such can be untraditional. Waiting on feedback before I consider one. Maybe they have figured something new out and the other conical manufacturers will be playing catch up.

Bottling today. I dry hopped with 6 ounces pellets. All settled down into the jar except a super thin layer near the valve. I initially figured I'd just toss the first bottle, but when I moved the catalyst to the counter to bottle, it knocked that last bit loose, and it slowly settled down into the jar. Bottling went well. Still a pain, but no more or less than usual. Someone should invent something to revolutionize bottling. No, kegs don't count.

You could sample from the mason jar, or sample with a thief from the airlock port. It's funny to say that every conical on the market has a sample valve. Clearly some do not.

I have two Catalysts. I just kegged 10 gallons of Blonde Ale. The bottom funnel system works great. I don't know how it could have been any easier. Cleanup was a breeze too. I'm a fan...

I have two Catalysts. I just kegged 10 gallons of Blonde Ale. The bottom funnel system works great. I don't know how it could have been any easier. Cleanup was a breeze too. I'm a fan...

Did you have any issue with hop matter blocking the narrow bottling attachment funnel? That was the only hiccup I ran into, mostly just from bottling a super dry hopped ipa before all the hops had completely settled. Should've either been patient, or cold crashed, but on a quest for aroma.

Do you guys know any supplier in Europe (UK or France)?

Shipping costs are over 80 dollars via Craft a Brew.... Thanks by advance

I have a few questiosn for users of this system since I'm looking at buying it for a gift.

How are you guys handling the giant oxygen bubble that comes up when you open the valve? It seems like it's just asking for off flavors to have that large oxygen bubble come up through the bottom when you open the valve to dump trub.

Has anyone fermented with a mason jar attached and the valve open? I figured this would be the ideal way to ensure you can save the yeast as well as remove the trub while also eliminating the oxygen addition.

Will this fit in a refrigerator? I saw the dimensions are about 15"x19"x27" so I'm curious if that would fit in a top freezer style fridge currently holding a brew bucket or two. I know the easiest way is to measure it but it's an odd questions to ask someone who you're buying a gift for.

I have a few questiosn for users of this system since I'm looking at buying it for a gift.

How are you guys handling the giant oxygen bubble that comes up when you open the valve? It seems like it's just asking for off flavors to have that large oxygen bubble come up through the bottom when you open the valve to dump trub.

Has anyone fermented with a mason jar attached and the valve open? I figured this would be the ideal way to ensure you can save the yeast as well as remove the trub while also eliminating the oxygen addition.

Will this fit in a refrigerator? I saw the dimensions are about 15"x19"x27" so I'm curious if that would fit in a top freezer style fridge currently holding a brew bucket or two. I know the easiest way is to measure it but it's an odd questions to ask someone who you're buying a gift for.

Will answer what I can.

Second question first. You are supposed to ferment with the mason jar attached and valve open. That allows fermentation while also allowing the trub to settle down into the mason jar (along with some yeast). You then remove the trub and this then falls into question 1 - You can minimize the oxygen that is reintroduced a couple ways. The easiest is before replacing the mason jar and reopening the valve just sterilize and then fill the mason jar with water. When you open the valve there will be a small amount of air that goes up through (from the small gap) but it is very minimal. Then it will allow the yeast to settle down into the mason jar to collect and wash if you want.

I can't answer the fridge part though...

Back