Cask Conditioning in Corny Ends up Too Sugary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffhodges

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new brewer, so please feel free to slap me a around a bit. But I've just had my 2nd attempt at cask conditioning not go well (I beleive I'm using that term correctly - cask conditioning is getting natural carbonation as opposed to forced, correct?)

I've used recipes that have always worked well in bottles, and after secondary fermentation, they still taste/measure the same as they have in the past. But instead of bottling, I've put them in the new corny keg I have and used approoximately half the amount of bottling sugar that the recipe calls for to prime the beer in the keg.

What is working: carbonation is produced! I've got a good seal on the corny and it holds pressure, and 1-2 weeks later the beer is nicely carbonated.

What is not working: it tastes (and measure on with a hydrometer) as though the bottling sugar isn't getting converted. The beer is sooooo sweet. And the yeast doesn't seem to be acting on it anymore.

What do I do? Add more yeast? And in the future? Use less bottling sugar to prime? Help!

give the keg a blast of c02 to make sure all the air is out there. Then use 3/4 cup of corn sugar (4 oz by weight), in 2 cups of water and add to keg. Keep at room temperature for 2 weeks. As for "cask conditioning" i think you mean "keg priming".

If you want a true cask or real ale lower carb style I find that 1/4-1/2 cup of regular sugar works great. When carbing in bulk you need way less sugar than bottle conditioning.

If you want a true cask or real ale lower carb style I find that 1/4-1/2 cup of regular sugar works great. When carbing in bulk you need way less sugar than bottle conditioning.

Yep, the 3/4 cup rule for bottling should NEVER apply to kegging. You use more like 1/2 cup.

Thanks guys! Good to know for future. Any recommendations on current kegs full of super sweet beer? Thx!

cliffhodges said:
Thanks guys! Good to know for future. Any recommendations on current kegs full of super sweet beer? Thx!

Maby mess with adding bourbon or something in small test quantities..?

Let it warm up, let just a little CO2 off by way of the pressure release valve, shake it really good to re-suspend the yeast, and let it sit a week or two at room temp. There should be enough yeast still in suspension (assuming you didn't sterile filter) to take your beer down a point or two, which is all you would have added with your 4-5 oz. priming sugar.

Otherwise repitch a little yeast, but you'd be better off making a starter and pitching a small amount of active yeast since it already has alcohol.

Honestly though, warm it up and let it sit a little longer, it shouldn't have very many points above FG with a little priming sugar that whatever's left in suspension can't take care of it.

When in doubt, RDWAHAHB.

Back