Cask condition in Mr. Beer keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noneal

Reaction score
Hey there,

I've got my second extract batch going in my primary now. It's an ESB kit from AHS. I'd like to cask condition part of it to simulate (as close as possible) the hand-pulled beers I've had in the UK. Has anyone used a Mr. Beer keg for this? I can find it mentioned when I search, but I can't find any details or tips. It seems like I would need to seal the vents on the top of the Mr. Beer keg and replace the tap with a plug. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!
Nathan

If you can seal it off completely, you should be good to go. "Cask" is just another word for "container" (metal, wood, plastic or other). After it is finished conditioning (or during) you'll want to vent off excess CO2 that is created in the headspace/beer. At 50-54F, the beer will hold the 'right' amount of condition in the beer and release the extra. Venting will bring the beer to equilibrium (correct) condition. If you can figure out how to use a soft spile like you would normally...that might help. If not, a quick release of head pressure, reseal, repeat might work. Once vented for a few days, you should seal it off again until serving. hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back