'Cascadian Brown IPA' Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshtchuk

Reaction score
Always been a big fan of Phillips' Skookum Cascadian Brown Ale from Victoria here and I've been itching to try brewing something similar but maybe a little more bitter with some more northwest hop flavour and aroma. Not really going for a specific style by any means but I'd like some input on what I've been plugging into Beersmith. I've never tried developing my own recipe and I'm still relatively new to brewing so pipe up if you have any suggestions or if there's anything overly obvious that I'm missing.

Est. OG: 1.065
IBU: 58.6
Color: 28.4 SRM
Est. ABV: 6.6%

12 oz. Chocolate Malt
1 lb. 4 oz. Crystal Malt - 40L
7 lbs. 4 oz. Amber DME

1 oz. Simcoe (60 min.)
0.75 oz. Centennial (60 min.)
0.5 oz. Simcoe (30 min.)
0.5 oz. Centennial (30 min.)
0.5 oz. Amarillio Gold (30 min.)
0.5 oz. Cascade (15 min.)
0.5 oz. Amarillo Gold (15 min.)
0.75 oz. Cascade (2 min.)
0.75 oz. Cascade (1 min.)

Wyeast American Ale (#1056)

Have at 'er.

Also, any opinions on first wort hopping with a recipe like this?

Edit: this will be done as a 3 gallon boil with water added in the fermenter so as to make it a 5 gallon batch

I'd use american 2 (1272 I think) it finishes a little more dry of course, the 1084 is good for dark beers and it's my go to. If you want a west coast stone style hop bitterness you've got to FWH(I don't think it says anywhere you actuallyhave to but you know what I mean) and it helps to do a 90 min boil with something heavy and earthy.

Unfortunately, we don't get Phillip Skookum in vegas so I can't help with the flavor profile even to do it in the style of...

My preference is to move everything to the ends of the boil. Bu that I mean FWH and then 15, 10, 5, and flameout. Followed by agressive dryhopping for two weeks where I'll use something I like for the first week and then one of everything the second week.

For example, I like warrior or magnum to bitter. Followed by your suggestions on flavor and aroma with the exception I'll usually put some citra in there too. It compliments the amarillo well. Then I'll start my dry hop with 2 and 2 amarillo and citra followed the second week with one ounce of everything I added along the way.

The next obvious argument is: your beer is going to taste like lettuce! Stop, relax, have a homebrew. Don't let your beer age warm and you won't have to worry. I kept my last black IPA at 45-55ish for almost a month. It's like keg hopping, no one worries about vegetal flavors there.

Got on a rant. Good luck. Just my two cents. Oh, and I do ten gallons so I know it sounds like a lot of hops. And you might want to increase your bittering hops.

Much appreciated. I was thinking of adding some citra in for aroma/flavour too. Anyone else with some advice?

Latest posts

Back