Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooper

Reaction score
Brewed this one up today, cant wait till I get to sample it. Got the inspiration from EdWort's Haus Pale Ale; thanks buddy!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=31793

Ingredients:

4 lbs Golden Promise (Simpsons) (2.0 SRM) 36.9%
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 36.9 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 18.4 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) 4.6 %
5.6 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (I had some left over and needed to use it) (2.0 SRM) 3.2 %
0.50 oz Magnum [12.60 %] - First Wort
1.00 oz Cascade [6.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min
2.00 oz Cascade [6.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min with 15 minute hot steep
2.00 oz Cascade [6.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min steep at 160F or colder
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) from starter
1.00 oz Cascade [6.30 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days (after primary fermentation subsides)

Hit my numbers right on and for a 5.5 gallon batch got OG of 1.053

Mashed at 152 for 60 mins and the pH was 5.38. (RO water adjusted to a pH of 5.57 before dough-in.)

Added 1/4 tsp Gypsum and 1 tsp CaCl2 to the mash.

It was a great brew day and its always nice to hit your numbers so I thought I'd share.
:mug:

That looks damn tasty! Cascade is one of my go to hops and it makes great pale ales.

I may try that recipe...

Estimated ABV is 5.3 with 40 IBU. But I'd imagine the IBU is higher as it doesn't calculate the 0 min or dry hop additions

Just dry hopped this one. FG was 1.009. I'll add a pic when I get it in the glass.

Nice recipe. I have an extra vial of Old Sonoma yeast that I'll try w/ this since I just received a pound of leaf Cascade.
I may run it through my Hop Rocket w/ a couple of ounces as I chill whirlpool, too.

Let me know on this batch how long it takes your krausen to fall with 1272. In my experience while my gravity dropped to 1.012 within a week, that krausen was still about 2-3" 10 days after brew day.

Let me know on this batch how long it takes your krausen to fall with 1272. In my experience while my gravity dropped to 1.012 within a week, that krausen was still about 2-3" 10 days after brew day.

It's still holding steady. I really doubt if it'll ever drop back down into solution but I'm not worried about it. That's why I usually try to get at least 6 gallons into the fermenter so I can leave behind tub, etc.

Krausen dropped out nicely during the cold crash. I'll be kegging it tonight or tomorrow.

I brew a recipe similar to this. It's not actually that much hops but it tastes really nice. Pretty much my go-to recipe when I want a tasty hoppy beer that doesn't cost the earth.

I'm pretty sure you'll be pleased with how this comes out.

I brew a recipe similar to this. It's not actually that much hops but it tastes really nice. Pretty much my go-to recipe when I want a tasty hoppy beer that doesn't cost the earth.

I'm pretty sure you'll be pleased with how this comes out.

I'm hoping so. Hydrometer sample tasted amazing. I think it'll go over really well on the fourth.

Back