Cascade IPA - Hopstand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Ales and Such

Reaction score
Hello,

I have some cascade hops and Munich LME left after some batches I made and I wanted to experiment with the hopstand technique.The recipe I’m creating is for a 1 gallon brew and this is what I wanted to try:

1-gallon batch IPA
- 2 lbs of Munich LME
- 0.2 oz of Cascade for 30 minute boil
- 0.5 oz of Cascade for 30 minute hopstand: 180 degrees

let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this. Would you dry hop as well with this? Keep in mind, the cascade hops are all I have left over.

thanks!

2 lbs of Munich LME puts you around 1.080 for a 1 gallon batch - not a bad thing at all! I agree it's a great way to experiment with hopstands/whirlpool additions. In our experiments, we have seen no difference between 20, 30 and 40 minute hopstands. On our system, at least, it seems like we get max terp extraction right about that 20 minute mark. Something you should play with! Also, definitely dry hop. Always dry hop! :mug:

2 lbs of Munich LME puts you around 1.080 for a 1 gallon batch - not a bad thing at all! I agree it's a great way to experiment with hopstands/whirlpool additions. In our experiments, we have seen no difference between 20, 30 and 40 minute hopstands. On our system, at least, it seems like we get max terp extraction right about that 20 minute mark. Something you should play with! Also, definitely dry hop. Always dry hop! :mug:

So, how much should I add for dry hopping and for how long? I never have a good idea on that.

Back