Cascade Hops Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baptistbrewer

Reaction score
So my friend grew cascade hops in his backyard and wanted me to brew something for him with them. I have one question. With homegrown hops how do I know the AA%? Or do I just wing it? Any advice? The picture is of the hops. Those are gallin size and over a pound in total.
ForumRunner_20121007_172913.jpg

You won't know the alpha acid percentage precisely unless you send them to a lab. You could either wing it by making a guess based on the usual percentage of alpha acids for cascades, or you could use a commercial hop for bittering and save the homegrown hops for your late additions and/or dry hopping.

or you could use a commercial hop for bittering and save the homegrown hops for your late additions and/or dry hopping.

That's what I would do. Use magnum to bitter (to ensure you don't end up with a cloyingly sweet beer) and late hop/dry hop the heck out of it.

Back