Cascade Hop Pellets 1LB for $6.99 + Shipping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I bought in bulk, how long do you think they would keep? Thinking about buying a couple pounds, but it would take a while to use them.

I don't have a vacuum sealer, so they would probably just be in a ziploc bag with as much air pushed out of it as I can muster. And, in the freezer, of course.

I don't have a vacuum sealer, so they would probably just be in a ziploc bag with as much air pushed out of it as I can muster. And, in the freezer, of course.

There are models in the $30 to $50 range. You'll be money ahead in four pounds. I've had great results vaccuum sealing bulk meat as well - prevents freezer burn and I've had home-vaccuum-sealed ground beef stay good in my fridge for over two weeks. Savings one prime-grade porterhouse and the sealer pays for itself.

Are thses shipped in sealed and flushed in foil bags?

Not sure how to validate they are flushed to remove oxygen.

If I bought in bulk, how long do you think they would keep? Thinking about buying a couple pounds, but it would take a while to use them.

Cascade is a notoriously poor keeper - like at room temp (say 20C/70F) and in air the alpha half-life (which is a reasonable if inexact approximation for other brewing attributes) is only 4-5 months. Frozen in a vacuum and losses will be pretty minimal, have one or other of those conditions and you might be losing 10-30% over a year.

The problem with these kinds of deals is you never quite know how they have been stored for the last year - and if the bag has been punctured and kept at ambient then they could have been severely wrecked. But kept cool and in a vacuum and it can be a decent deal, particularly if you brew a lot of "house" beer and aren't looking to explore the outer reaches of the hop universe like NEIPAs.

Cascade is a notoriously poor keeper - like at room temp (say 20C/70F) and in air the alpha half-life (which is a reasonable if inexact approximation for other brewing attributes) is only 4-5 months. Frozen in a vacuum and losses will be pretty minimal, have one or other of those conditions and you might be losing 10-30% over a year.

The problem with these kinds of deals is you never quite know how they have been stored for the last year - and if the bag has been punctured and kept at ambient then they could have been severely wrecked. But kept cool and in a vacuum and it can be a decent deal, particularly if you brew a lot of "house" beer and aren't looking to explore the outer reaches of the hop universe like NEIPAs.

You don't know that for any hop that is not in the OEM packaging. Repackaging and "Flushing" isn't exactly a tightly controlled process. Your best bet with any hop is to get em in a vacuum bag and a Freezer ASAP.

I'm doing a Cascade IPA this weekend with one of my pounds. 17oz in 10 gal. Should be plenty hoppy even with a little poor handling loss.

Your best bet with any hop is to get em in a vacuum bag and a Freezer ASAP.

I'm doing a Cascade IPA this weekend with one of my pounds. 17oz in 10 gal.

And that's ASAP from harvest - at least if you're buying new harvest hops at this time of year. Then when you come to brew in August, you know how they've been kept for most of the year.

It does need a bit of negotiation with other users of the fridge/freezer though!!!!

I like the sound of 17oz "pounds" !!! :ban:

And that's ASAP from harvest - at least if you're buying new harvest hops at this time of year. Then when you come to brew in August, you know how they've been kept for most of the year.

It does need a bit of negotiation with other users of the fridge/freezer though!!!!

I like the sound of 17oz "pounds" !!! :ban:

You guys don't have 17oz pounds over there? I added another ounce of magnum for bittering that I had in the freezer, so a pound plus one.

True about degradation beginning the moment they are harvested. Hopefully they were stored in large bulk packaging from the processer properly sealed and protected from O2 until repackaged and distributed and hopefully they have quick inventory turns. At least I'd like to think that's how these guys do it but I'll probably never know. It would be nice if they indicated if the hops are repackaged or in the original packaging from the processor.

I received my package Wednesday. They were in a foil package but wasn't vac sealed- threw them in the freezer as didn't have time to re-package.
Will do that today. Hopefully they are good.

You got a pound for $7 what did you expect? I repackaged some and brewed with some today, the aroma certainly indicated they were just fine.

I expected them to be vacuum sealed. Not unrealistic as far as I'm concerned. Very easy for a place to do.

You got a pound for $7 what did you expect? I repackaged some and brewed with some today, the aroma certainly indicated they were just fine.

I expected them to be vacuum sealed. Not unrealistic as far as I'm concerned. Very easy for a place to do, and always a good idea for bulk hops.

AIH repackaged hops. I don’t know if they do this for the 1 lb. bags, but they certainly do it for their 1 oz. bags. I am surprised they still do this. It reminds me of some of those old school shops that still function like they did in the 1990‘s.

This is why I prefer to get my hops from Homebrew stores that sell them in sealed, flushed envelopes.

Anybody drink beer with these hops in it yet? Finally got around to vacuum sealing the two pounds I bought. Seemed to look Ok and smell decent.

If it helps at all, they are my lhbs. I've bought plenty of 1 oz bags of cascade from them repackaged and all of those beers tasted great. Drinking some edwort Haus Pale Ale at this moment using thier cascade, right there hop taste/aroma wise with sierra nevada or the like.

Sampled a beer that used 8oz of cascade and it tastes great. Now I wish I would've bought more than 4lbs :)

Back