Carrying full Spike Flex+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
Question for anyone with a Spike Flex+... Do you carry the fermenter by the handles when it is full?

From their site:

The Flex handles say “Do Not Lift When Full", is this accurate?
A full Flex weighs upwards of 70lbs. Although the handles are designed and tested to support that weight we do not recommend lifting when full.

Thanks. I had seen that. If you read the whole page, it seems like they are recommending not carrying a full fermenter just because it could slosh around and become unbalanced, not because the handles won't hold. I'm willing to ignore their advice, because I have carried full conicals many times before, with no issues.

What I need to know is if anyone has been using the handles to do so, because it would be handy (no pun intended).

Are they constructed the same way as the Spike CF5 handles by being rolled over into a flap of stainless which is then welded to lock them in place?

If so I can tell you that the stainless will begin to tear even if you just try to use the handles to take the partial weight. I did that to my CF5 and have a 1/8" tear in the handle flap now

Edit nevermind i was able to find a good enough picture of one to see that they are constructed significantly differently than the CF handles

Back