Carboy vs. Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrderrick

Reaction score
I just wondering the pros and cons between fermenting in a Carboy or a bucket?

I could really find anything about which is better. I have been using car boys but was thinking about going to bucket for dry hopping.

Any ideas or suggestions will help

Thanks

They both make beer....Good or bad beer depending on the brewer. But they both work, it's ALL a matter of YOUR preference.

There's a million threads on this topic...and all you'll get is preferences. There is no right or wrong, no better or worse where this is concerned. Best thing is just get one of each and figure out what you like most of all.

Any -VS- in brewing is really just what you like best. In brewing there's no better, just best for you. This is a good thread for those kinda questions. This Vs. That - A Pro/Con Analysis

:mug:

If you've got carboys then buy a bucket - it's cheap. Try both. I use both routinely. I prefer glass for secondary. For primary it is anyone's game.

Buckets are easier to clean but then there is that lid with the rubber oring which is something else to clean. Buckets don't break. You can see easily when glass is clean. Both work fine, there are just trade-offs.

I ditched both and went to using SS Stockpots, I have a 7 & 8 Gallon that I use as Primaries and a 6 Gallon for Secondary. I hardly Secondary anymore so the 6g doesn't get used much. I got the El Cheapo ones off of Austin Homebrew. So far so good, I've probably been doing it this way for a couple of years now.

Just another option for ya:mug:

i'm with rev... both work fine. just a matter of preference.

one thing i would say is that for dryhopping (with whole cone), bucket is the only way to go. i shoved a bunch of cones in a carboy once and clean up sucked real bad. LOL. took me forever to get all that hop matter out!!

anyway, i prefer carboys myself just cuz i like to see my beer. not that there's any reason to need to see one's beer. i just like watching it when it's fermenting. LOL

Yankeehillbrewer said:
I ditched both and went to using SS Stockpots, I have a 7 & 8 Gallon that I use as Primaries and a 6 Gallon for Secondary. I hardly Secondary anymore so the 6g doesn't get used much. I got the El Cheapo ones off of Austin Homebrew. So far so good, I've probably been doing it this way for a couple of years now.

Just another option for ya:mug:

Out of curiosity are you sealing these somehow or just putting the lid on?

Sometimes I want to take some yeast during high krausen, which is not possible with a carboy. Otherwise there's no difference to me.

Out of curiosity are you sealing these somehow or just putting the lid on?

I had plans to get them all sealed up and put airlocks on them. But I found that puting some saran wrap around the edge where lid sits on the pot works just fine. Then I just put some binder clips on there to hold the lid in place. CO2 can escape but nothing can get in. A bit ghetto but it gets the job done.:mug:

That's not too ghetto, you should see some of my equipment.

I visited a brew pub in Destin or Panama City and they did pretty much what you are doing. Big vats with canvas tops that appeared to snap on over the top. Sorta looked like a big spa or small above ground pool. They claimed to have no problems with infections.

It is probably not the best way to age or store a batch but during fermentation it seems to be safer than one might expect.

Lost said:
That's not too ghetto, you should see some of my equipment.

I visited a brew pub in Destin or Panama City and they did pretty much what you are doing. Big vats with canvas tops that appeared to snap on over the top. Sorta looked like a big spa or small above ground pool. They claimed to have no problems with infections.

It is probably not the best way to age or store a batch but during fermentation it seems to be safer than one might expect.

Agreed. During fermentation, so much co2 is being blown out of the fermentor, practically nothing can get in (as far as microbes), and what does would be overwhelmed by the primary yeast. The only real reasons to cover the fermentor are to keep bugs (actual bugs, not microbes), debris, pets, or kids from getting in.

Long-term storage post-fermentation is a different story. You'd need some kind of cover to protect from contamination.

Latest posts

Back