Carboy to keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc8870

Reaction score
I am planning an american brown ale and will probably ferment in primary for approx 3 weeks. I want to then transfer to corny keg and place in kegerator at approx 38 degrees for a few weeks. Would this be ok or is temp to low?

When I transfer to keg for conditioning do I have to carbonate? I probably have to seal and do quick shot of co2 ?

I plan on bottling about 2 gallons. What temp to I leave bottles to condition? Room temp or cool ? How long?

As far as the keg, I made a brown ale recently and I kegged it after about 10 days. Started tasting it after about 2 weeks. Some people charge a keg at 30 psi and roll it around a bit to get the co2 in fast. I jst leave mine on about 12 or so psi. Not sure on bottling, but what i read a lot is 3 weeks at room temp (70F)

I can't imagine drinking it without it being carbonated. Perhaps if it was a strong barleywine I would be OK with it - but this is a brown ale.
I would make sure you purge the keg of oxygen though and keep it under pressure. A quick shot of CO2 won't do that. You'll still get oxygenation. In fact, if you put too much CO2 in there you'll just force the oxygen into the beer if you don't purge it first.
As far as the bottles: I always bottle at room temperature - but I see that you're in Florida so it might be hotter. As long as your AC is running you should be OK.

When I transfer to keg for conditioning do I have to carbonate? I probably have to seal and do quick shot of co2 ?

You don't have to but unless you can't for some reason there there is no point in not carbonating it, and if you do it will be ready to drink sooner.
It will "condition" just as well.

Back