Carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
So I have my nut brown in a carboy. There is about an inch if trub on the bottom but right on top of that is about 2 inches of this white almost clear stuff. Do any of you know what it might be? I was thinking the yeast but its hard to tell.

Yea I'm not sure what it is. I'm sure it's ok it just looks kind of weird to me.

I'm a bit interested about what carboy meant is? and what are the benefits of this. Can you give me some details about on this matter.

Bamsdealer said:
It's yeast on top of the trub. Completely normal. Save some for your next brew.

You know I was thinking about doing that. I have never done that before do I just add a little water to the yeast cake and pour it in a air tight container? And when I'm ready to use it just pour it in the wort or do I need to make a yeast starter?

You know I was thinking about doing that. I have never done that before do I just add a little water to the yeast cake and pour it in a air tight container? And when I'm ready to use it just pour it in the wort or do I need to make a yeast starter?

Yep. Sanitize your container. Mason jars work well. You don't need water either... there should be some liquid after racking to your bottling bucket. Just give it a swirl before pouring some into your container.

Look up yeast washing if you won't be using your yeast within a few weeks. There's a ton of information on it.

A starter is a good idea to make sure the yeast is healthy and you have a good amount to ferment another batch. If you save half of the yeast and use it within a month, I wouldn't be scared to skip a starter though

Bamsdealer said:
Yep. Sanitize your container. Mason jars work well. You don't need water either... there should be some liquid after racking to your bottling bucket. Just give it a swirl before pouring some into your container.

Look up yeast washing if you won't be using your yeast within a few weeks. There's a ton of information on it.

A starter is a good idea to make sure the yeast is healthy and you have a good amount to ferment another batch. If you save half of the yeast and use it within a month, I wouldn't be scared to skip a starter though

Yea sounds good maybe I'll try it out. What do you use for a yeast starter?

dry malt extract. Use 10 ml of water for every gram of extract. Boil it for a few minutes, cool, and pitch your yeast.

Bamsdealer said:
dry malt extract. Use 10 ml of water for every gram of extract. Boil it for a few minutes, cool, and pitch your yeast.

Sounds easy. Well I got to try it once.

Back