Carboy fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreBourbon

Reaction score
I've decided to ditch my pale primary fermenter and I'm doing it straight out of a carboy. Less chances of air born contaminants and it's way easier. Is a secondary really necessary?

Not that I lean one way or another, but buckets are easier to clean, IMO.

Where are you brewing that you are so concerned about air contaminants?

Also, no. For most beers a secondary isn't really necessary.

o d
is a secondary really necessary?

NNnoooooooo!!!!!!

It's horrible how many people get rooked into doing a secondary when they absolutely don't need it.

I'm still adamant that this is done for the purpose of selling 'mostly' useless 5 gallon carboys. That's the only real use for one.

Secondary fermentors have a purpose. They are not necessary but are a legitimate technique that noobs should not worry about. I do and dont use them. Glass carboys are not harder to clean than buckets. I have been all carboy since my first batch. Six carboys. Two secondary fermentors.

They may not be harder to clean per se, but they do take longer to clean. Glass is impervious to pretty much anything we homebrewers can throw at it, so, given sufficient time soaking with a good, strong oxyclean/pbw/whatever solution, there's nothing that won't come out. But you can't just give it a quick scrub with the soft side of your sponge and be done.

Carboys are also more of a pain to take gravity samples from – maybe not that much of a pain, but certainly harder than "sterilize spigot, open spigot, close spigot, rinse spigot."

I'd put that carboy to use for something that would benefit from fermenting in a carboy and go back to using the pail for most beers. Much easier to clean quickly, nice handle for carrying, easy to dry hop in, and it won't send you to the hospital if you drop it.

I've decided to ditch my pale primary fermenter and I'm doing it straight out of a carboy. Less chances of air born contaminants and it's way easier. Is a secondary really necessary?

I'm one of those who uses a secondary for all my beers, I don't care so much about the science of it, I'm sticking with what has worked for me.

Having said that, I think it would be a bit of a pain to do my primary fermentation in a carboy. With the amount of trub from primary fermentation, the pail is easier to clean.

Have you had problems with airborne contamination or is it just a concern of yours?

So I get the impression that it's mostly a cleaning thing. I'll stick to my method. The more you transfer the more airborn bacteria and general air is introduced to your beer. I used to transfer to get rid of sediment but it all drops to the bottom anyway. I do still use a bucket when dry hopping for easy removal of the bag. Thanks yall.

I hate plastic and will stay away as long as money can afford. I don't care what the EPA says about food safe. I broke a carboy once by pouring in oxyclean solution that was too hot for it.

I'd put that carboy to use for something that would benefit from fermenting in a carboy and go back to using the pail for most beers. Much easier to clean quickly, nice handle for carrying, easy to dry hop in, and it won't send you to the hospital if you drop it.

Best answer for you OP.

To the guy who said 5-gallon carboys are useless: If you have been duped into buying one, and all your other fermentors are full, why not just brew up a 4-gallon batch?

Best answer for you OP.

To the guy who said 5-gallon carboys are useless: If you have been duped into buying one, and all your other fermentors are full, why not just brew up a 4-gallon batch?

The 5 gallon carboys are perfectly acceptable for making wines or ciders since they usually hold a bit over 5 gallons and wines and ciders don't raise a krausen like beer.

I'd suggest using the pail, and skipping primary. I started off using carboys and I find that the pails are just that much easier to clean, have significantly more headspace, and are less likely to explode from a mishap. Truth be told I'm more using plasic barrels (50 L) rather than pails, but it's the same idea.

My carboys do get used occasionally for smaller batches, or for things that I want / need to bulk age. I've got a mead on the go in glass, and it'll be transferred to glass again for clearing eventually.

i still like to transfer to a carboy and add my gelatin and cold crash it....

i tried straight outta primary a few times and it never clears up the same in my kegs.

Back