carboy air lock ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobeluvr

Reaction score
I decided I would brew this weekend, so I needed to empty the primary bucket.
So I racked? it to a carboy that came with the kit. Figured I had it, might as well use it. The batch in it is an irish red ale from MHS. The question comes in is, What is the trick to keeping the rubber stopper in the top of the carboy? It has a hole for the airlock, but every time i push the stopper in - it comes right back out. Its like magic, push it in, out it comes lol. So i gave up, sanitized a piece of aluminum foil, wrapped it around the neck and stopper and called it good. Figure its probably sealed better than the bucket anyways. Thanx, just wanted to ramble, and thought that was funny. push it in out it comes.

I think sanitized foil works pretty much as good as an airlock / stopper anyway. I had a carboy covered with foil for about 3 weeks, and the stuff is fine.

just my 2 cents:cross:

Yeah you get a much better seal when it's dry. As long as you don't need an airlock I can't see why foil wouldn't work just as well (assuming you have a good seal).

Back