Carbonations issues? Fizz Drops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkMerosier

Reaction score
Lately I have been having issues with carbonation in the bottles, which is strange because the method of carbing has been the same since I started brewing, and the first 10 batches or so were perfectly carbed. Then I started having flat beers even after months. To try to find a solution, I went with the carbonating fizz drops for the latest brew, a chocolate milk stout, and those nailed the actual carbonation, but the head retention on the brew was more like a soda- like an inch thick to start and gone in like 30 seconds. Any recommendations for either A) fixing that original problem of flatness (reminder that I waited months, after reading that others had similar problems and the response was "give it time") or B) Head retention fixes for the drops? The drops were certainly convenient, but having that head stick around is a big deal. Any help would be super appreciated.

I'm certainly no expert, as I am having some issues myself, can't seem to get consistent carb levels in my brews, but I have a few thoughts. Are you controlling the temperature of the brew while bottle conditioning? Since the carbonation in your beer is just the retained byproduct of a second, smaller fermentation of the corn sugar, your yeast still needs to be healthy with good environment to chow down. You could have just been lucky with the conditions of your first batches if you're not controlling the temperature. My thoughts on head retention are about the ingredient list. Are you making the same recipes? are you brewing with the same profile? Adding carapils (dexterine) can help somewhat I believe.

Oh yeah, definitely have been watching the temperature of the bottle conditioning and all that. Literally nothing has changed in the process from the first batches I made back when I started. The carbonating issue only started later on. Some of the recipes are different, as I like trying new styles, but some of the repeat beers that were delicious (and carbed perfectly) had this later carbonation issue too.

Latest posts

Back