Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan18can

Reaction score
Hi once carbonated to the correct pressure in the bottle I refrigerate to stop the yeast but if I take it back out the fridge to store will the yeast restart ? Thanks

Last edited:
Your beer will produce the amount/level of carbonation you have decided upon, by calculating the amount of sugar which will give you that. The amount of sugar is calculated taking into consideration the volume of the beer being bottled and the temperature, at which the beer fermented ( highest reading ).

Once the yeast ate all the sugar you added, transforming it into C02, the yeast will no longer do anything. This means, once carbonated, the bottles can be stored at room temperature for months. I would not do that, as you risk losing aroma and flavour ( and probably will ) when exposed to such high temperature, but they can and nothing will happen in termes of bottle bombs? Is that what you are thinking about?

Anyway, once carbonated, the bottles should be moved to a cooler storage room, or directly in the fridge. This will keep the content fresh for longer.

Just wanted to stop the yeast and then take out the fridge as we do t have much room in there to keep it all refrigerate at once

I keep the vast majority of my bottles at room temp as I'm very limited in fridge space as well. I just throw a couple in there every morning while sipping coffee and then by happy hour, they're fine. I wish I had a beer fridge, but oh well. Keeping bottles at room temp for months has not adversely affected them in my opinion.

There is no need to stop the yeast, as it will stop on its own, once all the sugar is consumed and transformed into CO2. This - provided you calculated the right amount of sugar - will not produce bottle bombs or whatever.

But maybe you are referring to something else?

Cheers!

Hi once carbonated to the correct pressure in the bottle I refrigerate to stop the yeast but if I take it back out the fridge to store will the yeast restart ? Thanks

Yes, if there's any sugar left. No, if it's fermented dry and you only added priming sugar.

Example - If I ferment my cider to completion, rack to secondary for clearing, rack to the bottling bucket and add enough sugar to sweeten plus carbonate. Wait for carbonation and then throw the bottles in the fridge with some residual sugar for sweetness. I've kept cider this way for a month without getting gushers. But take them out of the fridge and the yeast will start up again.

Or, only add enough sugar for carbonation and bottle a dry cider. No worries there.

Latest posts

Back